Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Recommended Reading

So I'm in a bookclub at work - we meet once a month over lunch. We pick books on a rotating basis, everyone gets a turn. August was my month to pick. Intent on choosing a good educational book, rather than some fluff, I explored all avenues for book choices. One evening I spotted an author on C-Span (yes I sometimes watch C-Span, I'm a geek). Noticed that she was from the DC area, her book sounded interesting...so I thought "let me write her publishers and see if maybe we could get the author to come to the bookclub meeting." I figured the most I had to lose was that they would say "no."
To my great surprise they said "sure, sounds great!" So today, after three years, bookclub is having our first event with the author of the book we are reading, present - I am very excited!!!!
Irmgard Hunt, author of "On Hitler's Mountain" will be joining us today as we dicuss her memoirs of growing up in a Bavarian mountain town, in the shadow of Hitler's Eagle's Nest, during the Nazi era. It is an account of the average German, what made them do what they do (her parents voted for Hitler), why they supported such an evil person, their lives, the lives of the unperscuted. It is a part of history that needs to be told, if just to ensure it doesn't happen again. With what is going on in America today (jigostic blind patriotism)- this book is so timely - at points actually quite scary to see the parrallel between the two eras. Perhaps the saddest part of the book and what frightens me the most, is that many of those who supported Hitler never could say "I was wrong," or "I changed my mind, he is bad" - which makes me wonder about Bush voters from 2004, how many people will die in Iraq, will they never say, "I made a mistake, he needs to go"?

Yipee bookclub today!!!

9 Comments:

Blogger Maidy said...

Thanks for the recommendation. Geo and I are really into history especially WWII (he more than I).

I do hope you post on the meeting with Ms. Hunt. It sounds like it will be fascinating.

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm. I wonder about the ability of people to admit they were wrong too. Especially were Bush is concerned.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear. Blogger comments keeps forgetting who I am!

That one above was from me!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

Bush and Hitler --- Ok, I LOATHE George W, but to rank him with Hitler, in my eyes, is a bit of overkill (I'm just saying is all).

Nonetheless, I agree that Bush's fan club can see no wrong where that bastard is concerned, so like Hitler, it's all about the cult of personality.

Kudos to you and your C-Span book club!

1:50 PM  
Blogger NM said...

dude.my sister has that book.i must say,it looks pretty good.and i don't even read.oh em gee.u like that kelly clarkson song "because of you"?its like my favorite.okay love.byeeeeee.
naema*

9:03 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Thanks for dropping by Naema! I feel special :-)

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read Window washer descenders Merchant account providers hong kong Maryland land rover dealer excellent mattresses convectionmicrowave ovens best 10 or 20 lexapro Jenifer s sofas Pilates studio for sale montgomery alabama Www blue hawaii com didrex Best bet movies Lexapro and reviews Cheap air flights cheap business class airfare ponape Diagnostics code on a 2001 chevrolet truck

4:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » » »

9:16 AM  
Anonymous FDC Movies said...

Usually I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop
myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job Man,Keep it up. : https://www.fdcmovies.com/

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home