Friday, July 31, 2009

Health Care Debate

Am I the only one who thinks that the health care system in America stinks? oh don't get me wrong, we have the best stuff around but if you're not Bill Gates, good luck trying to pay for or heck even gain access to that quality care.

Fact One: The United States ranks 23rd in infant mortality, down from 12th in 1960 and 21st in 1990

Fact Two: The United States ranks 20th in life expectancy for women down from 1st in 1945 and 13th in 1960

Fact Four: The United States ranks between 50th and 100th in immunizations depending on the immunization. Overall US is 67th, right behind Botswana

Fact Five: Outcome studies on a variety of diseases, such as coronary artery disease, and renal failure show the United States to rank below Canada and a wide variety of industrialized nations. (From the Connecticut Coliation for Universal Health Care).

I just find something very wrong in the United States, that as a citizen, living in the wealthiest nation on the planet, my health care is equivalent to that of a village woman in sub-saharan Africa.

7 Comments:

Blogger secret agent woman said...

You and me both, Babe.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

I don't know what it is about doctors today, but it seems to be up to YOU to manage your own health care. I'm not talking about responsible behavior and regular visits to the appropriate doctors. It's like they want to do the bare minimum (run a few tests, chat for all of about 2.5 minutes) then let you figure it out. I can look stuff up as well as the next person, but I might put it together all wrong. Isn't that why they go to medical school? Anyway, I don't think my docs today are as good as the docs I had as a kid (good old fashioned small town GP's).

12:30 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

You got it!

7:16 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Full agreement.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Sorry for the rant above. I'm not too happy with some of my docs right now. I also agree that we should be able to get good health care to all of our citizens.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Secret Agent - Thanks my friend!

Merci - exactly!! You are so right!! I'm not the one with the advanced degree! And yes my doctors as a child were so great, now I get totally devoid of emotion doctors.

Brenda - Amen!

Joe - thank you.

Merci - don't apologize! You are so right and I think you hit the nail on the head! I am sorry about your woes though, it is such a hassle when working with our medical system.

11:03 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

Well I tell ya the truth I love being iin the USA better tahn anywhere.
Sometimes health care in the US stinks, but. I dont think the OBAMA plan will make it better!
I,m retired and I think I get pretty darn good care. My doc will caht with me as long as I like, maybe ya'll all need to shop around a bit!? or maybe I just know the questions to ask!?

1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home