Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Queen Victoria ans Ski Holidays


First off – thank you all for the votes for the traveling website – it seems that one can only vote once but I’m getting a bunch of votes, so muchos gracias to everyone for voting and for passing along the message!!! You guys are the best!


This weekend the hubby and I went to see two movies. On Friday we finally got to view the Sherlock Holmes film. It was VERY good. I don’t know what the critics are talking about; I really enjoyed it as did the husband. I certainly think this is the kind of film one should see on the big screen – lots of movie magic (you know big explosions, hi-tech workings, etc). Plus hats off to Robert Downey Jr., what a great actor, if I didn’t know better I would have said that he was British by birth. If there is any complaint its Rachael McAdams, she is a fine actress but this role was so dumb, it didn’t need someone as big name as her.


Saturday night we were suppose to go see Up In the Air but missed the last showing so instead I piped in that we should view Young Victoria, with Emily Blout. I LOVED IT!!!!! As regular readers of my blog are well aware, I adore all things European Royalty and in particular with Queen Victoria and her offspring. This film really allowed someone like me, a voyeuristic glimpse of life behind the royal curtain, particularly for Queen Victoria who was such a private personality. The film, aptly focuses on Queen Victoria in the months before she becomes Queen and than her first few years of reign; it definitely appeals to the females as it shows the romance between Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. I liked how they portrayed Albert as a kind soul who was so calm and rational to Victoria’s more emotional fancies – one of the funniest scenes is when Victoria and Albert are riding in public in the carriage, immediately after a fight and she is being very childish and Albert’s responses are hilarious!!


Part of the enjoyment of the film is seeing the courtship between Victoria and Albert and how micromanaged it was by other political/royal parties in Europe! Yet, Victoria and Albert did get to enjoy life together, hunting, sleigh-riding, horse-back riding, dancing, music, heck if they had the wherewithal, they probably would have even gone skiing – like on a cheap ski holiday!


I highly recommend, if you haven’t gone out to see any movies this year (2010), check out one of these two!

7 Comments:

Blogger secret agent woman said...

When they hit DVD, I will.

7:47 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Oh, movie reviews again - thanks!

7:20 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I'll keep them both in mind.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Sherlock Holmes was OK. Entertaining enough, but very violent. Jude Law is always worth seeing. Rachel McAdams turned Irene Adler into an insipid, girly creature, rather than the strong, mysterious woman she was in the tales. I suspect that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is turning over in his grave at the deconstruction (destruction?) of his stories.

I saw It's Complicated last night, and I roared with laughter. Of course, it was Girls' Night Out, so I was ready to enjoy.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Secret Agent - These are both films you can watch with the boys.

Joe - yup more movie reviews, my life is dull.

Brenda - Hope all is well!

Merci - So you concur on the Rachael McAdam's character. I didn't like her either. I haven't read much of Sherlock Holmes but I might have to now that you say that that particular character is better written than in film. Thank you dear!

12:18 AM  
Blogger Mary Shane said...

Snowmass in Colorado is a great ski resort too. I am booking a trip for next winter. It would be for me and my ex-husband. After three years he decided he wanted to go on a trip with us, me and his daughter. That was unexpected.

4:01 AM  
Anonymous ski holidays italy said...

Ski holidays can be very expensive, forcing many families to put their whole annual holiday budget in one basket, but with a little forward travel planning, you can enjoy a wonderfully comfortable, exhilarating and relaxing ski holiday, and still have enough left over for a summer holiday too.

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home