Friday, March 20, 2015

Sevdalinka Music




There are many things about Bosnia that I love, but one of them is NOT sevdalinka music.  Sevdalinka is the traditional folk music of the region, specifically Bosnia and Herzegovina.  It is characterized by sad, melancholy tunes, almost always with an accordion in the background.  I just can't find anything appealing about it, its depressing and uninspiring. I am not opposed to sad songs, I love WestLife's song, "I Cry," and its about a breakup, but its done in a way that is pleasant to the ears. Sevdalinka music is not pleasant to my ears. Perhaps its that blasted accordion but I just find Sevdalinka songs terrible, making me want to cringe, to me more singing in melody but no harmony. Here in Sarajevo, whenever I get into a cab or go into a store that is playing Sevdalinka, I shudder. I appreciate the cultural history behind this genre of music, I just don't want to listen to it.

You can hear a clip of Sevdalinka above and decide for yourself.

3 Comments:

Blogger Secret Agent Woman said...

Very melancholy. I actually like it.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

really?

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well sevdalinka songs are like Bosnian soul. Not to know it is like not to know Bosnia... But to learn about it is not easy, since it is deep thing, endless...

So you claim to be gypsy, here is then one incredible Gypsy singer with Roma Sevdalinka fusion song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ2vajyhs4A

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home