Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Eid Murbarak

Eid Mubarak!!!


Tomorrow (Wednesday) marks the second big holiday in the Islamic calendar - Eid al-Adha. The holiday is done to commemorate the willingness of Ibrahim (Abraham pbuh) to sacrifice his son to God. Eid al-Adha is often marked by people sacrificing animals in the name of Allah (by doing this it is said we Muslims are reminded that life is sacred). The meat from this sacrifice is than divided, as proscribed by the Qu'ran (Islamic holy book) - most is given to the poor and hungry while the rest is cooked for the family who shares with friends. The day is also important because it marks the end of the Hajj, the Islamic pilgrimage (one of the five pillars of Islam). The importance of this holiday is in the remberance of sacrifice, to submit completely to God, staying on the straight path as He proscribed to us. It is this strength and purity that God wants from us, as He desired of Ibrahim (pbuh).


For this Eid I pray for health, happiness and prosperity to all of my family and friends, may good intentions be rewarded, may kindness be returned, may joy be spread and may the blessings of God be with you always. Eid Mubarak!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eid Mubarak!

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eid Mubarak!! Can't wait to see you in the spring!

2:02 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

Thanks for educating me on your
faith.
Abraham quite a fellow indeed. I am not sure I could have done as he did with his son!However I don't feel we listen to Gad as well as Abraham did!
Happy Holiday!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

Eid Mubarak! I thought this Eid was in February or something. Yikes! I'm totally off on my Muslim calendar. I hope you had a wonderful feast!

10:30 AM  
Blogger CS said...

First, I'm 100% with you on your prayers.

But second, this is a story that has always deeply disturbed me (because of course, it is featured in all the Abrahamic religions, so I learned it growing up). I never could decide which was worse - the idea that a God would ask a parent to murder his child, or the idea that a parent would willingly do it. I'd do anything, including happily killing myself, before I would lay a hand on one of my own sons. There must be a better story for promoting the ideas of giving to others and living a life that supports your faith in the sacred.

Although, as I say, I do like the prayer at the end, so Eid Mubarak to you.

6:10 PM  
Blogger CS said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Eid Mubarak!

I've always struggled with this story, too. I guess you can draw parallels with parents who are willing to send children off to war at the demand of the government, but it's still not quite the same thing.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Joe - thank you!

Kate - thank you and can't wait to see you!

Mommnator - I laugh because I completely agree, I don't think I could be as strong as Abraham (pbuh) should God have asked that of me. Of course our sermon on Wednesday was to just that point - how each day God tests us, but to remember that those before us have been given even harder tasks. It is an interesting spirtual question, no?

Molly - sheesh where is your Muslim calendar - no just kidding, it keeps moving every year, even we Muslims are not particularly aware, hee hee. Thanks for the well wishes.

CS - Thank you and I'm glad you liked the prayer. Yes this story does raise questions, what kind of God asks this of someone, particularly someone who had so desired children and yet as a believer of God, perhaps the parable is how we are all tested?? Molly Malone or Kate could probably would better answer this question, as they are both more versed but I see and respect your point.

Merci - thank you - yes this question is difficult, I don't feel spiritually educated enough to properly answer the question but I would be fascinated to see the answers of those better versed, like my Mosque's imam or the Archbishop of Canterbury...I'll have to see about getting some answers.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home