Monday, December 10, 2007

Finals Week and Frustration

This is finals week - won't be a long post, I'm busying stressing out (LOL).

However I did want to vent for just a second. In one of my classes, we had this massive group project and part of that project was doing peer reviews on our team members. For the first two portions of the project I got all 4's (A's) on my peer reviews, yet on this last one, someone gave me a 3 (B). I am livid!! I worked my a%& off - I wrote the bulk of our business plan, I made slides, I did the presentation. I cannot believe someone had the audicity in my group to say that I did B work! I asked one of my teammates, who is a good friend of mine, what he thought and he was shocked! He is very honest and would have told me if he thought I didn't pull my weight.

I think I have a feeling who might have given me this poorer grade, someone who was themselves getting poor reviews. I can't believe they would be so petty as to grade others down to either make themselves feel better or out of some sense of revenge (which is crap since I gave everyone in our group a 4!).

Now I'm working on figuring out who in my group gave me this grade and speaking with them - hey if you had the balls to give me a lower grade when you and I both know I did a great majority of the work, than have the balls to tell me why you did it to my face!

(and yes I made an "A" for the class - but its the principle, this person benefited from my work and than decided to cut me, that doesn't play with Virginia Gal!!).

7 Comments:

Blogger Merci said...

Virginia Gal-
If you got an A for the class, then their petty antics didn't pay off. There will always be someone who is ready to take unfair potshots at you. There really isn't any point in stressing over it, but you already know that...

9:41 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Maybe this is part of the learning process, that co-workers can stab you in the back after you did the job. Perhaps the instructor changed the grades just for this purpose? (you did get an A)

11:07 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

O my VA Gal. they were just giving you what they felt they should have been given! Me also thinks they just gave this to you to see your reaction! be the better person and look the other way!
What a blessing for you to have the knowledge/smarts to continuely getting A's!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome to the world of business, where you work your tail off, do a good job, and sometimes others are unwilling or unable to give you the recognition you deserve.
If it were me, I'd chalk it up to a learning experience (a "teachable moment," as we call them in our house) and move on.
Especially since you ended up with the A.
In the long-run, these people always get what they deserve.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

That is a sad, frustrating story, VA Gal. Human nature, I suppose, but still. Didn't we move past this sort of behavior in middle school? At least, we should have. You did your best, and the instructor clearly saw that - don't waste any more of your valuable energy on it. Just make sure you're never on a group with that creep any more! :-)

8:19 PM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

exactly: no more valuable energy is to be wasted on this. life is too short to blow a gasket over some nitwit who did NOT sink you, anyway.

we're breathing ... we're breathing...

10:57 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Merci - you're right and stressing over it makes them a winner, no?

Joe - I did think that for a second, that maybe the professor changed the grade to see if we were paying attention but that wasn't the case. This is a lesson of the corporate world and I suppose better to learn it here than when I'm making six figures.

Mommantor - you're so sweet, your comment put me in such a better mood - thanks!

Shannon - a teachable moment, I like it! You're right, in the long run these people will get theirs in the end..I'm hoping it means next semester when I won't be there and they will have to do the work themselves!

Darla - Thanks, I did think we grew out of this behavior but perhaps it latent in all of us? I shall not waste anymore energy on it.

Molly - we're breathing, hee hee - thanks for always making me laugh!

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home