Sunday, February 08, 2009

Mother of 14...



This made me laugh out loud for a very long time, thank you Jon Stewart and company for continuing to point out the absurd that surrounds our federal government!

Alright I am completely guilty of following this whole mother with 14 kids story. This story hits particularly close to home because I have a good friend of mine, who I love dearly, but due to her very strict religious beliefs continues to have children (expecting baby six in a month). She and her husband are not rich, all the kids are under age 10 and they live in a three bedroom home. I guess what bothers me about this story out of California and of my friend, is it fair?

I don't want to regulate anyone's uterus but at the same time I don't like the idea that I would have to pay for someone's irresponsibility.

I am torn, the children of these parents should not suffer, but shouldn't there be some consequences? Is it fair for society to take the burden on of these children, because someone just wants to have a ton of kids? And in both of these cases no one is saying that these children will be on any government aid, but there is that possibility, no? Certainly in some form, we as a society will be paying for them.

Also, I don't think having this many children is fair to the kids in question - attention and resources so thinly divided between them.

I don't want to tell anyone how to run their life but there is just something off about the whole situation and wrings me the wrong way....

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, it isn't fair. Here's a partial solution: A tax break (the normal deuction) for the first child. Nothing for the second. Then a tax penalty for children afterwards. Because let's face it, children are a financial burden, and cost the public for schools and health care and so on. And the world is over-populated.

(And, man, do I love Jon Stewart!)

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She was quoted as saying "I hold each child for 45 minutes a day". Okay...45 minutes per child...14 children (all 7 and younger, no less)...if my math is correct, that means she is holding a child for 10 1/2 hours per day. How does that make you a good mother? I think the woman has issues...not sure what they are. How is she unemployed, yet can afford in vitro/fertility treatments? I don't get it. I feel there my be some ethics issues here as well. What doctor in their right mind would perform this procedure???

8:35 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I was wondering the same thing as Trisha - not only is the entire thing irresponsible on the mother's part, but what was the doctor thinking???

8:54 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I just don't know what to think of the whole matter. Because she is a single, unemployed, mother, I highly suspect that our tax dollars paid for the care and delivery and will continue to support these poor babies.

3:45 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

she insists she doesn't use financial aid-hogwash- if you dont have any job, you must get the money from somewhere! I have also 3 of her other children are special needs children- 45 mins again hogwash. I had 2 children and if I had only spent 45 mins per day on each I am sure my oldest dau would not sit up let alone walk with crutches- this gal has something terribly wrong with her! AND I cant even comment on the physician! what did he want noterity or what he also needs to see a psychiatrist! I just am saddened for those children all 14 of them!

7:17 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

I hope it is not so, but 8 children sharing a womb rarely fare well. There are likely to be disabilities of varying degrees amongst them. That's tough on the family, tough on the systems providing services, and toughest on the children.

4:23 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

Merci-spoken like a true intake worker LOL

11:18 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Citizen - yes if she was so into children, why didn't she adopt? Instead of putting more kids in the world. Aye!

Trisha - Totally ethical issues, you bring up a ton of questions that are yet to be answered. I would not be surprised if the state took her kids away from her.

Darla - amen, where the heck is the doctor in all of this?

Brenda - yes the more I see of it, the more I think we are footing a lot of the bill, because her poor parents went broke paying for the first 6.

Mommantor - yes the thing that makes me saddest is the effect this is going to have on the kids.

Merci - exactly and you who work in the system now it best. This woman is clearly crazy.

Mommanator - you are so right!

12:11 AM  
Blogger Merci said...

Unfortunately, the system is crazy, too.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home