Friday, October 21, 2005

Friday Misc. Thoughts

I want to continue more on yesterday's discussion about conscious consumerism next week but for today will just shoot out a few random thoughts (hey it's Friday and I'm feeling lazy):

I know everyone is suffering from donor fatigue, and those of us in America might soon be facing another crisis with this hurricane Wilma, but the UN reports that the situation in Pakistan/India where the earthquake happened is going from bad to worse. Winter is setting in there and people don't have any shelter. They actually said something to the effect that there are not enough winterized tents out there in the world currently to address the crisis. My heart bleeds for many of these poor people who, like the poor of New Orleans, were living day to day, paycheck to paycheck. In some cities of Pakistan, aid still hasn't arrived. If you can give, even just $5-10 bucks, might I suggest one of my favorite charities, Doctors Without Borders - they are there when many other organizations pull out or never make it in. They care without discrimination.
http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/
If you can't give, please at least contact the Pakistani embassy and demand to know what they are doing and to stop the red tape and fussing over India and other nations helping them.

The Apprentice - bummed last night to see Kristi get the boot on this television show. I liked her. She reminded me a lot of the girls I went to college (university in England) with, strong Southern women (her accent makes me think she is from North Carolina, Tennesse or Kentucky but will look it up). People said she was bossy, but it didn't seem that way to me and that might be because I spent four years with girls like Kristi and I know that its not bossiness as much as a determination to get things accomplished, a willingness to go down in the trenches if need be, an ability to never give even when it seems impossible and finishing everything in the end with grace and a good dose of humor. Many of my friends are like Kristi and I wouldn't trade them for the world. Stupid beauty queen Jennifer M, manipulated her way out of getting the boot, but she will get hers. They lost a really good team player in Kristi.

Super happy this week to see the further downward spiral of the Republican party, loved Tom Delay's mug shot (sucker!) and the in-fighting between the Cheney and Rove camps. Please God let it be like Jurassic Park, when the dinasours start to destroy each other.

I like that new Kayne West song, "Golddigger" with the Ray Charles mixed in. It reminds me of the other Kayne West song I like, "Jesus Walks With Me," which you hear a lot of today because they use it to advertise that new movie Jughead - a movie about the first Iraqi war. Seriously, why would I pay to go see a movie about a war in the desert - I can just watch the nightly news for that. Besides it is so depressing.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

6 Comments:

Blogger Merci said...

Powerful post today. I like it! I'll look into Doctors w/o Borders. I read your paragraph about the Republican Party to my husband, who chuckled appreciatively.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Random Kath said...

I'm with you on giving again . . . there is so much ongoing need . . . Don't forget to look in your local area, too . . . so many evacuees are dispersed just everywhere and people have not been tracking them very well.

As for the Apprentice, I thought Kristi was a serious contender too, but you have to remember that it is all in the editing . . . We see what they want us to see and then they edit things to make us change our minds. Think of Tana last season, or John, when they seemed like the only sane folks for a while.

For "Golddigger," was that ray Charles? I thought it was Jamie Foxx, if I remember from the video . . . he may have been channeling Ray there again . . .

11:14 AM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

VG,
Actually Three Kings was a pretty good movie (about first Gulf War) ... Whatshisname and I have set aside some money to send to DWB for this week after watching BBC news the other night.

Have a nice weekend, stay dry and look up!!!!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Merci - always glad to get a chuckle :-)
Random Kath - hmm..not sure about if it is Jamie Foxx or Ray Charles, I thought they sampled Ray Charles but it is Jamie Foxx in the video. And yes, Kristi was edited to look bad, I think. They do the same thing on Amazing Race. Really they must think we are very dumb.
Pax - have a nice weekend yourself and I'll look into that Three Kings (love that Marky Mark!).

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Texas star accutane legal cosmetic surgery mole removal Nv dentists http www.terra.comociomusica ppc google musica dodge shadow 1991 not receiving fuel 3597 vicodin Verizon wireless sync software for ppc Soy and whey protein supplement Bosch dishwashers us Stop spam blocker deklaracja ppc audiovox ppc 6601 sprint Nevada corporation umax ppc Baccarat site web Ppc text to speech 64 falcon sprint convertible

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Virginia beach camping Hard drive repair disk scanners barcode medical insurance in florida Mexico provigil kitchen bathroom remodeling va dc digital cameras Wal mart connect spam blocker hiking Single parent scholarship fund What is debt to total assets ratio Elysee cosmetics and critiques canon gl2 digital camcorder how to repair hotpoint clothes dryer Apply business credit card

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home