Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Starbucks Quote

I think Pax or Tony mentioned this Starbucks quote campaign in their blogs a while back, but here is an update:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2005-10-19-starbucks-quote_x.htm

It seems Starbucks will be adding a quote from Rick Warren on their cups starting next year. For those of you who don't know, Rick Warren is the author of that book, The Purpose Driven Life, if I'm correct, a book with an evangelical point of view on life. I have no problem with that - Starbucks using him, it should be equal opportunity quotes on the cups (since they have one with Amistad Maupin on there about being gay) as long as they are not overty offensive (i.e. "Islam is a violent religion" sic, Jerry Falwell).

But what I liked about this article is that it mentioned those companies that support a Christian based lifestyle. I'm sure most big companies around the world do support the basic tenets of all major religions, but they don't actively advertise or advocate for them; doing so, in my mind, indicates support of that religion above others, I suppose a bit like putting a sign in your store window that says, Bush '04, what am I to think but that you want Bush to win in 2004. Again I have nothing wrong with a company supporting a religion, but just as the Southern Baptists did to Disney for having domestic partner health benefits, I will boycott your establishment. Clearly, you think of me, as a Muslim, as a bad person. Why should I give you my hard earned dollars? If you put prayer cards on dinner trays or verses of the Bible on your shopping bags, you indicate to me a leaning towards fundamentalist Christianity - which I don't agree with. As a business you purpose is to sell me a good, not a religion.

With that in mind I will no longer frequent the clothing store Forever 21, Alaska Airlines and Chick-Fil-A.

ps- the answer for yesterday's geoquiz was Nicaragua.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Advocating any religion as part of a corporate 'enlightenment' campaign is a very dodgy practise, I think.

As you rightly say, it DOES, without any doubt whatsoever, advocate that religion above any other. Given the diversity of any company's clients or customers, such a thing could be considered offensive to a great many people.

I've no doubt that companies who do such a thing do it misguidedly, thinking they are doing something good or thought-provoking but, at the end of the day, I consider it a mistake to dabble and influence people by words which carry religious messages or overtones.

If I'm in Starbucks (highly unlikely, I might add), I'm there for a cup of coffee. Not a lecture or an attempt to influence my thoughts.

9:26 AM  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

Doesn't Starbucks also have quotes from the Dalai Lama, Armistead Maupin...a diverse group?

Billy Graham and Rick Warren are THE only high-profile evangelists I respect. Neither of them is in it for money, is the first tip-off. Rick Warren has sold I don't even know how many hundreds of millions of books, and 90% of his profit has gone to his church. He accepts no salary from the church he pastors, and since the success of his book he has repaid the church every bit of salary they have paid him over the years.

I search political contributions all the time online, and try to tailor my business away from those who support causes/politicians I find distasteful. I had to switch dentists when I found out that both he and his wife had donated the legal maximum amount to the Bush campaign. I couldn't stand the thought of the money I paid him going...there.

Locally, here in town, I do try to patronize businesses and services of my own church members. It's just another way of adding to my tithe, if you know what I mean. I know that the money I give them will have a portion of it going into my church.

I'm perfectly comfortable with the idea of speaking with my pocketbook, and whenever I get a chance (and it wouldn't be too confrontational) I let the company know why they've lost my patronage.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

P&T - you are so right, I don't want a lecture or someone trying to influence my thoughts when I'm out shopping for skirts or such, it is so offensive to me! It is a dogdy practice.
Belinda - I also try to patronize those businesses of local Muslims, who I see at the Mosque, because like you, I know that the money is going around. I think the power of the purse is very powerful, look at the boycotts of the diners and bus system in Alabama during segregation.
What an interesting discussion!

7:30 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

What has Chick-Fil-A done?
My Starbucks cup today has a quote from 'Arte Moreno - In 2003, he became the first Hispanic owner of a major league baseball team.' Looks like they are trying to at least have a variety of opinions presented. Never noticed the quotes before - usually have the brown sleeve over the cup.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Joe in Vegas - Welcome!
Regarding your question, Chick-Fil-A closes on Sunday for the Sabbath, all well and good, but MY holy day is Friday, that is the Sabbath for me, how come they don't close on that day? Plus they have made it clear they are closing on Sunday because it is the Christian holy day, NOT to give employees a day off.

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site » » »

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home