Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Ramadan Mubarak!

Today starts the month of fasting, Ramadan! Islam 101 gives the best description of this holy month for Muslims,

"Ramadan is a month of obligatory daily fasting in Islam is the ninth month in the Islamic lunar calendar. Daily fasts begin at dawn and end with sunset. Special nightly prayers called, Taraweeh prayers are held. The entire Quran is recited in these prayers in Mosques all around the world. This month provides an opportunity for Muslims to get closer to God."

Muslims fast to increase spirituality, practice self-restraint, gain an understanding of how those less fortunate feel/live. As the Qur'an states, "O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that ye may [learn] self-restraint" (2:183).

Despite the hardships that go along with fasting for 30 days (exhaustion, constant hunger, colds/chills), I am filled with an excitment and joy as this blessed month starts. May this month go easily for all those celebrating it, bring peace to all those suffering around the world and bring me closer to getting happily married (had to throw that in!).

Ramadan Mubarak!

9 Comments:

Blogger Maidy said...

If I knew how to I'd send you an e-card!

Ramadan Mubarak to you, my blogfriend! Health, happiness, and success always!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

You want I should do a belly-dance of 1000 smiles for you?

Let me tell ya... it chases away the chills.... granted, then you're stuck with the overwhelming urge to ralph all over the place.

But.... I do look like Shakira's hefty white half brother, when I do it.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Ramadan Mubarak,Virginia Gal!

9:27 PM  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

Ramadan Mubarak! It's not a collective thing, but at our church we have done "40 Days of Fasting and Prayer" annually for pretty much the same reasons you cite. Isn't it great how the internet makes the world smaller and easier to understand? You're the best, and I hope you have an easy time, and come closer to grasping the plan for your life and discovering what blessings are in store for you!

9:58 PM  
Blogger NM said...

RAMADAN MUBARAK!!inshallah this month will go buy peacefully and happily.
p.s. im stealing that quote for my IM profile so my white friends can stop asking me about wat it is!
<3 naema!

10:00 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

See. In trying to be funny, I'm the only one who didnt say, "RAMADAN MUBARAK" Now I feel like a lame-o.

Love you, anyway and RAMADAN MUBARAK!!!!!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

oh thank you everyone for the well wishes and prayers!!!(and Tony, I'm sure a belly dance from you would be divine!). It is so nice to start out the month with such good blessings!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

Well RAMADAN MUBARAK to you!

I think it takes a lot of faith to do something, anything, for thirty days (especially something like fasting).

So you can eat after sunset though? Are there limitations as to what you can eat?

3:17 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Thanks Pax for the kind thoughts - yup, I can eat after sunset, no limitations on what I can eat, as long as they stay within the regular Islamic dietary laws (i.e. no pork, no alcohol).

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home