Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Annoying Office People

I work in an office - actually the corporate headquarters of an airline. I love working for an airline because of one BIG benefit - free flights. Anywhere my carrier flies, I get to go for free, as long as there are seats (I fly stand-by) and I get nice reduced tickets on other carriers ($100 rt to Australia, can't beat that!).

The downside is having to work 9-5 in a Dilbert-esque office setting. It's funny actually, but when I was in college I use to laugh at those Dilbert comics and thought, 'no way are those real.' Now that I work in a gray building with gray ugly cubicle walls, I realize how sadly true those Dilbert comics are. All the annoying characters in that comic strip are alive and well in my office: - the anal retentive administrative assistant who monitors every piece of copy paper used.
- the rude analyst who can't even use basic Microsoft Word.
- the mean receptionist who can't be bothered to do...well...anything.
- the dingbat co-worker who can't seem to find any office supplies in the office supply cabinet even though they are there in plain sight.
- the out of touch vice president who thinks little certificates and slaps on the back consititute a reward for a job well done.
- the manager who follows everyone's comings and goings but comes and goes as she pleases.
- the director who adores pointless and time-wasting meetings (I hate meetings with a vengence!).
But my favorite is...
- the manager who gets paid three times my salary but can't refill the paper in the printer or fax, change said printer's toner and when the copier gets jammed, comes running to me whining, "Virginia Gal, there is something wrong with the copier." Which interpreted means "Virginia Gal, you lowly servant, go fix it, I am so highly educated my brain can't deal with such trivial matters." I guess I look like I enjoy getting down on my hands and knees and pulling out paper and getting toner all over me, "oh thanks mast'a" I feel like saying. Sheesh.

on a sidebar note anyone else notice the fear factor tactic being employed by the Bush administration again? Rove and company have come up with, "don't look at our messes and how we rigged a fake war, be afraid, very afraid of the......bird flu!!!" I hope people are not as stupid this time around, though I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

oh and following a page from Joe in Vegas here are three good things in my life:
1. Having my cousins come up from Florida tomorrow - we always have a grand time together!
2. No one in the family getting majorly sick during the month of fasting.
3. Watching Martha Stewart Apprentice with my dad.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, those Dilbert cartoons are far too accurate. Makes you wonder how anything ever gets done!

I love Mr. Frist's self-righteous outrage over Mr. Reid's demand that Congress look at the Bush admin's misuse of intelligence info to justify war in Iraq. They've stonewalled for too long. Good for Mr. Reid. At least someone is listening to the people!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

i expect pics of you and your cousin, too! Posthaste! Now that I got VG to blog, I expect to know what she looks like, too!

Get on it, baby girl!

9:41 PM  
Blogger PissedOffPencil said...

The best humor is based on reality. I've met my share of Dilbert-cartoons too and it always amazes me that they really do exist... :)

5:45 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Merci - oh I'm loving the antics of the Republican's, I feel like saying "hello pot, this is the kettle."
Tony - pics?...do you really want to see my ugly mug, lets leave the dream alive (that I'm pretty).
POP - too true, too true, best humor is based on reality, but I couldn't believe it when I started working here how accurate those comic strips are!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

Hell yes, I wanna see your mug. I seriously doubt that I am anyone to be judging if you are ugly or not, but I SERIOUSLY doubt you are! Even if you are 900 pounds of jiggly-wiggly fat, you've got a beautiful heart!

So there!

6:18 AM  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

When I saw the title of this post, I really thought it was going to be about how to annoy your co-workers!!! How disappointed I am.

And as I said in the above post, I agree with Tony. You must be beautiful. I imagine you looking coyly up with nut-brown eyes through thick, dark lashes, with just a hint of a mischievous, closed-mouth smile on your face.

2:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shop at your favorite stores 24 hours a day. Why go to the mall when you can shop online and avoid the traffic

4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! oklahoma divorce Buy generic tenuate rx on line Family ireland travel Cheap chart plotters inkjet catridges online credit report Farmers insurance http www.tennesseefarmers.com http Passing a drug test for valium sony vaio pcg c1mhp hard drive Covergirl eyewear Automobile insurance wellanesa Botox alternatives breast implant information safe cosmetic Compact refrigerators u-line Ero6 isolator earphones Canadian commercial awnings

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home