Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Book Review

I just finished slogging through the "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffengener (sp). Two different people recommended it to me. The book centers around this couple and the true love they share despite the man's very dibilating (but made up) disease of suddenly time traveling. I'm not sure if this was the best book to read for someone who is sadly single and depressed about the fact that she might never find love. Besides I couldn't wrap my head around the whole time traveling subject, I didn't get it. It took me almost 200 pages to really start to even remotely enjoy this book. Very confusing. I was kinda hoping the book would be about some H.G. Wells character or something more fascinating these two semi-selfish people who got lucky in love. Main characters Henry and Clair did not endure me to them at all, as well as their annoyingly syrupy kid Alba. Ugh. Honestly, I love my friends, but they seem to have no idea what I like to read - this Time Traveler's Wife was not my cup of tea.

5 Comments:

Blogger Merci said...

Thanks for the review. I'll take it under advisement and get the book at the libary instead of buying it! I just finished Shopgirl by Steve Martin, and now I want to see the movie.

I'm amazed by how well he is able to define the difference between the male and female interpretations of a given event or conversation. Wonder if he had help, or if it all came from within him.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

oh that sounds interesting Merci, I'll have to pick up this Shopgirl. The movie looks cute anyway. plus I love Claire Danes :-)

7:30 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

I read it last year based on recommendations. Agree, confusing and not really absorbing. One of the few that I stopped reading before the end (I stopped when he went ahead and saw his daughter in the museum). I think this is the first book ever that I did not force myself to finish -.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Joe - glad to see I was not the only one who thought this book was confusing. I should have stopped at page 100 but I forced myself to finish - ugh.

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read » »

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home