Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Wedding Weekend I

his past weekend marked the first of three weekends in November where I will be going to a wedding. Normally I love weddings, heck in college I was addicted to the TLC show "A Wedding Story," but of late, being so sadly single, weddings bum me out. If this weekend is any indication of how the rest of the month is going to go, I should really just call it quits today.

This first wedding was my cousin's, up in Jersey. Some other cousins came up from Florida and together we all drove up to Jersey. 9 people in a tiny rented SUV did not make for a pleasant experience, but oh well, we thought, it is for the fun of the wedding. How wrong were we..the wedding was tame and well, boring. We knew only each other so we just sat at our table and talked, but having been up since 6am to get to Jersey, we were alternating between slurring our words and all out sleeping. The bride and groom probably would not have even noticed if we hadn't been there. Our relatives were busy and I'm not sure if they even cared about us coming out. I started to dance (which was the only saving grace of the wedding, that and the awesome desi food!) but had to stop cause my clothes were getting ruined by my sweating. So annoying!

If it hadn't been for us four girls getting together (my sister and two cousins) this weekend would have been a wash. Weddings are starting to really depress me....I fear I shall never experience one myself, were I'm the bride and I'm happy. Sigh

ps - doing a happy dance, we Democrat's came away with some very happy successes last night throughout America! Importantly, Kaine won for governor of Virginia - yay!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Merci said...

VG-
Weddings do get to be a bit dull after awhile. Even the fabulous event I went to last month, well, I could have had more fun at home. The driving just stinks, and it wears you out. Family weddings are especially dull because you don't know anybody else. It was the same at the wedding we attended.

On the other hand, look on the bright side - weddings are a good place to meet men!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Random Kath said...

Weddings are always such weird creatures . . . sometimes I think it would be better to just elope and have a big old party afterwards, since the whole baggage of "WEDDING" seems to ruin any really good get-together. I mean, if you say you're having a wedding right off the bat, people start charging you more for stuff . . .

Hang in there, and just try to enjoy the time with family . . . there will be time enough in the future when you look back on these dreadful events with much more kindness and longing . . .

2:45 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

At least you didn't have to be a bridesmaid, and buy a fancy dress and shoes that you would never wear again.

I tried to talk our daughter into getting married in Vegas - at one of those wedding chapels - I said I would pay for everything, as long as Elvis was involved. At some chapels Elvis drives the limo (usually a pink Cadillac convertable), at some he sings and at some Elvis is the minister that will marry you. But she said no Elvis. Oh well, can't get everyone to listen.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Merci - glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't have a great time at family weddings. And too true about meeting men, unfortunately at this event I didn't see anyone of potential :-(
Random Kath - It's funny I actually enjoy the reception part but why do we all have to be there for the ceremony, it is so bo-oring! I hope in a few years I can look back with fondness.
Joe - Good point about at least not having to buy bridesmaid stuff, that would have just peeved me off! Elvis story made me laugh, hee hee, sounds like just what my dad would say :-) .

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on!
zyrtec information Where to print digital photo Roulette+wheel+picture

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home