Thursday, July 27, 2006

Conflict in Middle East

Right, so I didn't make it to Mexico - flights were close to being full and I didn't relish the idea of being stuck in Mexico City....now London that would be a different story : )

I said I would try to do a political piece and with so much going on out there in the world, definitely lots of fodder. But as I was commenting in JoeinVega's Blog, for a while now, I have felt just so frustrated by it all. I vote, I work for political campaigns, I write my senators, I march, I protest...but it seems to no avail. I can't fault my old Sociology professor for giving up his American citizenship (even though he fought in Korea for democracy), sometimes it seems like, "what's the point?" Does anyone care about the little guy? Is anyone listening? Certainly no one on Capital Hill, in Washington D.C.

I'm disturbed by what is going on in the Middle East - from what I've read and heard, I think Israeli is using excessive force just for two soliders. But than that's just an excuse for a pre-emptive strike, no? They didn't like Hezbollah in the Lebanese government (Hezbollah was democratically elected into those positions btw), so using another big country's example (cough, USA), it seems like Israeli wants to go in and change that.

Israeli says this is in line with fighting the ever growing "war on terror" but I don't know....seems to me like this is just going to open up more hatred than seal it? Is it just me, but doesn't it seem like violence is not really the best solution to this, "war on terror?" Lebanon was a growing country, out of war for some time, building a great infracstructure, jobs, public services, etc. but now this war has caused it so much damage, it has left tons of people homeless, unemployed and angry as hell (towards Israeli, who just happens to be BFF with...yup you guessed it America, which is the only major world country not to condemn Israeli's excessive force). Gee, if that isn't a receipe for terrorism, please tell me what the hell is?

But who cares what I have to think....like I said to my friend from Tennessee last Sunday when we were walking around the Mall and the Capital, "look at how beautiful this is...brought to you by the big businesses of America, who have paid handsomely for it all."

I liked this guy's essay, a Lebanese for peace -
http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0727-23.htm

ps - does anyone know which companies outright profit from war? Any websites to that effect? How many of these companies contribute to the Republicans?

12 Comments:

Blogger Merci said...

Laurie has the companies right!

I'm sickened by the entire mess in the Middle East, and I'm frightened by all of the religious fundamentalism behind it (Christian, Jewish and Muslim).

7:03 AM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

It is madness now in the Middle East; and you can bet that hefty profits off the blood of all involved are going to be made.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

I'm planning on blogging on this later this weekend. It is TREMENDOUSLY frustrating.

9:55 AM  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

I totally understand where you're coming from in the beginning of this post. I feel the same way, lately...like it's just so hopeless that to get invested in it only multiplies my personal angst.

Selfish, much? I just can't seem to help it nowadays.

4:26 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Sorry you didn't make it to Mexico. As for profit, probably every company Cheaney owns stock in (sorry, it's all in a blind trust)

10:04 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Laurie - boy oh boy are you right, the neocons are re-energized, its like Christmas come early for them. Thanks for the tip, I'll read that study.

Merci - So true, really why can't we all just get along, amazing how religions are the cause of so much of this.

Pax - that is what disgusts me the most - the hefty profits, I would love to ask the CEO's of these companies "how do you sleep at night?

Molly - I'll have to check you out!

Belinda - no you are totally right, we try so hard and it becomes so much of our lives, is it worth it? One of my friends today was trying to convince me that change takes time. We will see. As for you personally, I think you should focus on you right now : )

Joe - You're right, probably everything he owns. Now if we could only figure out what Cheney has stock in....

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

4:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

5:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct partner who uses your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ozilokeso.o-f.com/vucode.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You re, I guess , perhaps very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper partner utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://lukidazyn.fcpages.com/yderul.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home