Wednesday, June 28, 2006

View From the 23rd Row - Goodbye

After five and a half years, traveling around the globe, where I've jumped off the sky tower in Auckland, tango'ed in Buenos Aires, royal-watched in Copenhagen, drank English tea in Paris, skipped in the rain in Rome, marveled at the beauty of a snowy Prague, walked all over Stockholm, sailed in Alaska, won nothing in Vegas, feared the Grand Canyon, experienced rubgy in Sydney, ate crepes in Montreal, discovered Alamo Park in San Francisco, gasped at the beauty of the Alhambra in Grenada, bicycled around the countryside of Venice, waltzed in Vienna, nearly got stranded in Madrid, sunbathed in the Bahamas, crossed the wall in Berlin, hit New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Orlando, Tampa, and Houston for quick day trips, attended a beautiful wedding in Edinburgh and New Delhi, rode jump seat out of Athens, and took too many trips to count to London, it is time to say good-bye.

In my five and a half years, I've seen a lot - at the two year hump, I seriously considered leaving, than when I decided to stay on, I would go through massive stress every six months when our quarterly report would show a need for more lay-offs. I worried that I would be let go. And yet, miraculously I made it through each time, even the massive Sept 11th cuts (what a horrible day to be at work). I think God finally said, "goodness this girl will never leave this job, what is the one thing I can do to get her out, to go in this different path, the path I want her to go?" Moving headquarters all the way across to the other side of the country! How's that for drastic?

Working in HR at non-descript airlines has been quite the learning experience. I will definitely miss being part of this larger team, full of great people. Certainly if I hadn't been surrounded by positive, energetic folks, I would have left a long time ago. It also helped immensely that both my bosses were good people. Despite going through Four CEO's and two bankruptcies in five years, I wouldn’t change a thing. Sadly, I've chosen not to go out to the new headquarters location in Phoenix, but I wish the company the best for continued success (no more bankruptcies or pay cuts!).

This will be my last View from the 23rd Row column, as I promised I would only write it while working for an airline and Friday is my last day. I hope, in my small way, I have made you a better consumer and passenger and instilled a desire to see the world, to travel.


Now with all the clues I've given you, you should be able to guess which airline I work for.

9 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Well, we better see a new title soon, something about a grad student's wanderings through academia?

10:20 AM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

Well thank goodness you are done with that little job; now you can turn your attention, full time, to Pax Americano Airlines as our CEO.

The Limo will pick you up Monday morning and take you to your new office in Manhattan. You have the corner suite on the 25th floor, I have made sure that fresh flowers will be in your office every day, and that a private massuse and chef will be at your call.

I've reserved the entire third floor of the Waldorf for you to stay in unitl you find an apartment that suits your needs.

Don't forget to get my your W-4!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

You will still be posting here, right?

The blog world wouldn't be the same without my VG's thoughts.

Please tell me you are still gonna have this blog!!!

8:51 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Yes, Virginia Gal, please tell us that the blog stays! Even if you have to cut back a bit. We'd miss you too much! In any event, check my reply to your last comment at the Room, OK?

I'll miss this series, you know it's a fave with me. I'll miss living vicariously through your travels. Still think you should start your own travel agency, or something like it!

9:42 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Joe - hmm...a new title, you're right, when school starts maybe I'll do something about grad school, good idea!

Pax - A corner office with fresh flowers, you shouldn't have! Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to slum it here at non-descript airlines, now I'm ready for the class of Pax Americano!

Tony - no worries, I plan on still blogging, you've gotten me hooked! Just no posts on traveling tips.

Merci - oh bless your heart, maybe after grad school I can open that agency. Rest assured this blog will live, I'll probably post more in the summer, because I won't be working full-time and lately I've gotten more and more upset about things happening in America. I loved your P&P post btw!

9:40 AM  
Blogger RPM said...

Please send me the new blog address, if you decide to stop this blog (and the history behind it) and start a new one. It is fun to read your thoughts.

usctrojan98 at gmail dot com.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

THREE CHEERS FOR VIRGINIAGAL! Congrats on making it through the tough times, doll! I know there is more good in store for you than you suspect! kisses!! :) :)

10:28 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

rpm - this Wednesday column will stop, but I will continue to be blogging from this address. Thanks for reading, I always wonder if I'm just rambling.

Molly - thank you, I'm so sad today, is my last day. But I'm trying to be like Maria Van Trapp, optimistic!

Laurie - you are so right, I need to look forward now! And I have been blessed to do all those things. Thanks for making me see perspective!

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work
fitness equipment

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home