Sunday, December 23, 2007

EIght Things About Me

I was tagged by the fabulous Molly Malone to do this memo about writing eight things about myself that perhaps my friends do not know. So here goes....

1. My favorite food is anything that I don't have to cook. It's official I don't like cooking, but I enjoy eating, so guess that means I should marry a man who likes to cook or has his own chief, no?

2. I have never found the old television show I Love Lucy funny, I do not even watch it....does that make me unpatriotic?

3. I worry that I will be a bad parent, if God graces me with any children, that my kids will be completely messed up.

4. I wish that God would drop a magic eight ball during one of my prayers and tell me exactly what I should do with my life : )

5. I am constantly humbled by the kindness and generosity of my friends. A recent blog post by a good longtime childhood friend Jelly Kean had me in tears. She described how she gave this homeless kid $20, the story wasn't written to toot her own horn but to make a point about her life in NYC. However the humanity in her act was like that of a guardian angel to this gentleman, somebody's son who had lost their way. Truly I think God has blessed me with an incredible family and amazing friends!

6. I think there is something seriously wrong with you if you won't vote for Mitt Romney just because he is Mormon. I saw a news story about him on the campaign trail where this older gentleman wouldn't shake Romney's hand because Romney was Mormon, good lord - what is that about?! Don't vote for him because he's a Republican, because you disagree with his policies, because you think he will not lead the country in the right direction, but not because of his religion - that is just ignorant.

7. The one thing I love about living in Richmond, Virginia during the school year is that when you ask for ice tea, it is pre-sweetened! Southern waiters/waitresses look at you funny if you even ask that question, as if internally saying, "duh its sweetened," even at the Southern fast-food places! People in the North - what is this idea of non-sweetened ice tea? Yuck!

8. Am I total geek but I can spend hours at the local Barnes & Noble and be completely happy. I just finished reading A Long Way Gone, by Ishmael Beah. It is the tale of a boy solider in Sierra Leone. A very sad and moving story that I think all high school seniors should read, to understand that even our worst neighborhoods in America can't compare to the savagery of a life lived in a war-torn country. To read what this boy went through (seeing his family killed, to be brainwashed to kill, to constantly be chased by the demon of death) is to weep that humans can do this to each other and yet at the end of the book there is a glimmer of hope that maybe just maybe there is some salvation for the human race. We are not all bad.

There - that is my eight things, some serious, some not so much. Part of the game was to tag five people, which is always hard for me. I shall tag Adorable Tony, JoeinVegas, Kate, Merci and Mommantor, but all are welcome and encouraged to play! Love from Virginia Gal

13 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

Merry, Merry, Christmas sweet girl!

(and we're going to have to work on this Ricky and Lucy thing. Ha!)

11:06 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Uh-oh! Haven't been tagged for anything in awhile. I'll have to ponder this a bit...

12:01 AM  
Blogger CS said...

#2 just means you are sane. I never understood why anyone liked that show.

#4 Those magic 8-balls only give yes or no answers, so you have to know what questions to ask.

#8 - Me, too - I am happy as a clam in a Borders, drinking hot chocoalte and reading.

Merry Christmas to you!

10:02 AM  
Blogger jellykean said...

I totally agree with #2! I always thought it was just me- I got trapped on a plane once where they showed like 4 episodes in a row and I was dying.
Have a wonderful Christmas and thank you so much for your donation and thinking of me!!

10:41 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Molly already put me down, and I've already refused. Things you don't know about me? huh.
And what's this thing about reading books in B&N? Buy the thing instead of reading it there, its a book STORE not a book library.
Oh, Im a great cook.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

We get lost for hours on end in our local Books Inc store... the kiddie book section is faboo and they always have hardcover books on sale REAL cheap so Lil' BoheMia's collection is now HUGE!

Merry Christmas... hope you are enjoying your time off!

:-)

And I am officially back so do come on by and say hola when you get the chance...

9:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Everyone thinks they will be a bad parent.
Worrying about it is what means you'll be a good one. :)

Merry Christmas, lady. Next time you're up this way, send me an e-mail and we'll have lunch. Or I'll meet you in a bookstore for coffee. :)

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

noticed a couple of days ago you tagged me - i'm being a bit lazy about the whole blogging thing over the holidays, so i'll try to think of something interesting soon!

thanks for the card!
xx

10:46 AM  
Blogger Maidy said...

1) i can cook, but geo LOVES to cook. he can don the apron all he wants now.

2) meh. parts of it are pretty funny but on the whole i liked her later stuff better.

3) darling, the fact that you are worried NOW shows you WILL be a good parent.

4) G-d uses 8 balls? Who'd of thought??

5) i'm evil and mean and rippingly sarcastic. i balance out all those nice peeps in your world.

*goes to kick a baby chick*

j/k

6) i totally agree.

7) mmmmmmmmmm, sweetened iced tea.

*drool*

8) nope, we're all evil. at least i know i am.

where's that damn baby chick??

^_^

Hope all is well with you, sweetheart.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

i never really got into i Love Lucy, either. if it makes you unpatriotic, then there's a whole generation (or 2) of Americans who hate their country.

i agree, the fact that you worry about #4 means you will be a good parent.

re: the 8-ball. don't we all? but i agree with CS, then we don't learn anything. spiritual life is all about the questions and the gray areas. accounting and science are about hard answers.

i like your 8 things. i'm excited that you did it! ... i think i'll have to pass on the book, though. i don't have a lot of room - emotional or mental - for sad reading, right now.

8:05 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

I'm pretty much an open book, but I will try it out.
Might take awhile as the kiddos are home on Christmas break and don't get much computer time!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

Done. :)

4:09 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Brenda - Thank you and I hope you had a lovely Christmas!

Merci - give it a go..I'll bop over and see how you are doing! Hugs.

CS - hee hee, good point about the magic eight ball, but if I knew for sure that I was getting an answer from Him, I'd word it right so the Yes and No would work out, LOL. Happy New year!

JellyKean - oh I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks Lucy is just NOT funny. As for donation, glad to do what I can.

Joe - my bad, I miscommunicated that number, all the books I read are from the library, I don't sit in B&N reading - however a friend of mine use to work at B&N and she said that they didn't mind, actually she said the company and managers encourage reading there, hence the chairs and coffee.

MizBohemia - oh yes I'll definitely come over for a visit! I'm not surprised about you and the little ones liking to read - we are after all long-lost sisters (ps will you raise any children I have, you do a good job!).

Shannon - oh thank you, I'm glad to hear that worrying about being a bad parent is actually a good sign : ) yes we will have to meet up, you make me laugh about the bookstore - thanks!

Kate - you got the card - fab! Never sure about being all the way in Scotland if it will make it to you! Take your time on the tag..: )

Maidink - you crack me up, thanks for making me smile and rock on about the sweet tea agreement, isn't it awesome!! Now I know someone in Philly agrees with me - we will start a revolution!

Molly - oh yes you have to be in the right mood to read the book and I think instead you should pick up a nice chickfic - i.e. Jemima J or Undomestic Goddess. Glad to hear you are not a Lucy fan either...great minds think alike!

Mommantor - take your time it is the holidays - have a happy new year!

Tony - hugs to you, I'll bop over and see what's going on in Adorable Tony land. LOL.

1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home