Monday, March 07, 2011

Kitchen Equipment

Its funny but I can keep up with everyone's blogs much easier than updating my own blog - I think that is definitely because I can check everyone else's blog while baby is in my hands but I can't type since one hand is definitely gone, holding up pookie - lol.

Today was my first full day alone with baby - for the past six weeks I've had my mother-in-law and than my mum helping out. It was so nice to have them around and I was VERY scared when they left, could I handle the baby on my own...the answer, YES! I did it! She sleeps most of the time, but she wants to be held a lot and man my right shoulder is killing me. I did put her down a few times to go to the bathroom, to eat a quick lunch and to make dinner. I was also able to empty the dishwasher of kitchen equipment (though I did have baby in my hand when I did that). It is amazing what tasks you can do one-handed.

I know I am spoiling baby, she has to be left on her own but I can't stand when she cries, it breaks my heart so when she starts to whimper I pick her right up. I feel like she and I have a connection, I love when she holds on to me so tight, like she knows I'll protect her against anything!

I will say one thing, now that I am a stay at home momma, I have re-started watching Oprah, man she is good! I just watched her visit to Yosemite National Park, with Gayle, it was hilarious. There is a reason Oprah is so rich and so admired - I admit it, I'm a follower again : )

11 Comments:

Blogger Kerry said...

If you're going to be carrying baby a lot (and it sounds like you both might need it right now), you might want to consider getting some kind of baby sling. Then you can keep her close and still have your hands free - and even newborns start to feel pretty heavy pretty quickly.

Horray for making it on your own. We usually can do these things, but actually doing it is a great self-confidence booster.

11:26 PM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

You can't spoil an infant. They are meant to be held and trust me, before you know it she'll be mobile and you'll be struggling to keep up with her. And I was also amazed to discover all the household tasks I could do one-handed.

11:40 AM  
Blogger my mind wanders said...

It sounds like you are doing great! We all knew you could do it! There will be days, I'm sure, when it will feel impossible, but just hold tight to those moments when she "hangs on," because you are really hanging on to each other. Love.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

I don't have children, but I'm inclined to agree with secret agent woman - you can't spoil an infant. I'm glad that you are well! You sound happy. I'm so glad. I haven't been keeping up with my blog lately, but, like you, I keep checking in with my blog friends.

12:17 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

You'll do fine

10:48 AM  
Blogger mj said...

Great post, I like reading your blog. You'll do fine.

Alaska Fishing Lodge | Real Estate |
Austin Auto Accident Lawyer | Landscape Lighting Austin, Texas |
Alaska fly fishing lodge

11:58 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I agree, too - you can't spoil your baby by holding her too much - you're doing exactly the right thing! I also agree about the sling - I used one with both of mine, and it was a huge help. Take it one day at a time - you're doing great! Miss you.

4:44 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

spoil! is that actually something you can do? Give her all the love you can, before you know it. She will be doing things on her own and you will be longing for those times!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Kerry - thanks for the suggestion, I have a baby Bjorn, I have to start using it!

Secret Agent - I love it! You can't spoil a baby! Thank you!

H - See this is why we are friends, you always have more confidence in me than I do in myself. Thanks!

Merci - yes I am missing your blog, but so glad you check in here. I have been thinking about you with all the floods and stuff in NJ.

Joe - thank you : )

MJ - thank you!

Darla - thank you for the words of encouragement, I need them : )

Mommantor - oh no, she is going to grow up?! I can't even think about it, my little pookie!

6:30 PM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

Again, just finally catching up. Get yourself a baby sling. A Moby or something like that. Be careful, because some have been recalled, because of asphyxiation, but basically, if you keep an eye on your baby and make sure she's always breathing, you'll be fine. But it frees up both your hands and keeps baby close to you, which is apparently really good for them. Supposedly, babies that are slung or carried close to mom for the first part of infancy, have lower rates of colic and are generally more chill. Plus, I read several places that it's basically IMPOSSIBLE to spoil a baby in the first 12 months. They are so reliant on you that you can't "spoil" them. ... at least in the first 6 months.
blech. i just did what i hate people doing: telling me what to do. okay, sorry.
but seriously: a sling for around the house and walks, etc. a swing for naptime.
And yes: you do become a great pro at one-handed jobs.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

Also, you had coverage for 6 weeks?! Holy shit! Baby's not the one who's spoiled here! ;) I'm retroactively jealous!

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home