Friday, January 07, 2011

It just gets weirder

I am missing my snowy weather that is going on back East, so I've uploaded this image of a nice winter day in my beloved Copenhagen.

I have to follow up on my job situation. I put in my letter of resignation yesterday. It was a weight off my shoulders, especially since the baby could come any day now and I wanted to make sure this loose end was tied up.

But things here just get weirder and weirder. I gave the director of the department my letter of resignation since my boss is not in this week (school starts on Monday, this is the last few days of holiday - boo!) However, I wanted to make sure that HR also knew about my intent. Unfortunately, the HR guy for the campus just happened to leave on Tuesday for another job. I asked a fellow administrative assistant who has been with the company for a long time, who I should go too in lieu of an HR person. She provided me with a name, the business director of this campus.

I emailed this gentleman with my letter of resignation, soley for the purpose of making sure there was no paperwork I had to fill out regarding my leaving. He replied back, but cc'ed my boss, the department head and the acting head of the campus (the top person here).


Two hours later, this head of the campus came down to see me. She was upset. She wanted to know why I had emailed the business director. I told her that I had been advised by the administrative assistant who works in her office. She tersely told me, "you shouldn't have done that, you should have emailed me. The business director shouldn't have been told." and than she abruptly left. Um....what? Okay....first of all, what the heck? Why is this a problem? I'm unclear. Second, why would I email the head of the campus, it would be like emailing the CEO, I would figure that my department head, who reports to her, would tell her in person. Why would I even think to email her. I am an admin, I email a fellow admin. Third, why would you come down to see me about this situation - I'm leaving and than why would you behave that way, getting all upset, instead of speaking rationally? Why do you even care that I am leaving, I've only been here for three months - whats the big deal?

This whole place is just a hot mess as my friend Christina says. Where is the professionalism? Maybe I was spoiled at non-descript airlines, but people generally didn't act this way. I would never have gotten reamed out by the Senior VP of HR, he would have had my director do it. I would never have thought to give my letter of resignation to the Senior VP in any case, how strange!

This woman is the acting head of the campus and she behaved that way - what?! To me that was just unprofessional. What do you think?

Perhaps it is just the change of settings, this is an educational institute vs. non-descript airlines, which is a business. Maybe people in business know how to act as professionals and this is not the same behavior expected in educational situations?? I mean, from my immediate boss to this head of the entire campus acting in this manner just shocks me. I am glad I am leaving, I can't work in this upside down world, it is just too weird.

7 Comments:

Blogger Merci said...

There's a story in there somewhere! Nothing for you to worry about, since you're leaving. GOOD FOR YOU!

8:09 PM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

That's bizarre. Merci is right - there's more to the story than you know. Has to be. But not your problem anymore!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Thinking of you today with all of the happenings in AZ. I know it's crazy stuff, but hope you are focused on the baby and happy thoughts right now,

1:56 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Does sound like a strang environment

1:59 PM  
Blogger Hina said...

Hmm, honestly, I think that you should get a 3D-HD TV for me. That should solve a lot of issues :)

9:34 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Merci - yes you are right, something fishy going on.

Secret Agent - yes, after you guys said that, I've been looking at the situation differently and things are fishy.

Merci - we are good, I just want baby to come, I want my body back!

Joe - I'm glad to see that others think that as well.

Hina - I like your profile pic with Charlie Brown : )

3:29 PM  
Blogger Hina said...

thanks, prego...so, no dice on the TV then? I do need it! for...stuff...

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home