Thursday, December 29, 2011

Favor

I hope everyone is having wonderful holidays! We head to Virginia for the New Year’s, for baby it means ringing in 2012 with her grandparents.

Of late, a general malaise has come over me. No explanation for it. I am more than grateful to God for all that I have; there is no cause for being depressed. Though as a sufferer of depression, I know that often depression can come on with no explanation. I do really need to find a therapist here in Phoenix, just someone to talk too periodically, just for check-up’s. Using my company’s EAP, I do have a few names, must get on the ball about setting up an appointment.

In other matters, does this ever happen to you…someone asks for a favor and than you end up having to do all the work??! At the office, a co-worker asked for one of my flight passes (we get 16 a year, reduced rates flight passes, standby travel). She and I are not the best of friends, but I thought, ‘ok, fine’ I’ll give her one. I end up having to spend half an hour (of a very busy day) setting up the flight information. She was not at all inconvenienced, while I had to break my work day to do this for her. In return, I get a note from her the following morning saying how I had not done it correctly. I was suppose to give the person a roundtrip pass, which is 2 passes, she asked for 1 and after everything that had occurred previously, I was not in a favorable mood to assist.

I am unclear when we became such an entitlement society. This was a favor but it didn’t seem to me that she recognized that status, instead it felt more like a mandate. Going into the future I don’t think I will be as free with the passes. The whole experience just sours one on helping out.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do take care of yourself and track down a therapist if you think you need one. We can't help what our silly brains do to us sometimes, but there is help out there for us.

I remember being hugely relieved when my doctor told me that yes, I could feel sad for no reason at all. It made coping with it seem easier for some strange reason.

Take care.

1:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you a great person, who can think clearly. So please make it your New Year's resolution to take care of yourself, first so that you can take care of your family. I am sure you want a healthy (mentally/physically)life.

Keep positive thoughts, you have so much to look forward to with such a beautiful child. Do it for her, atleast.

Happy New year. Hope to hear good things about your health in the next blog.

Austen

3:03 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Take care of yourself and do whatever you must to feel better! Sending lots of warm thoughts your way.

You should ask the person who wants your flight passes if she wants you to cancel, since it would be inconvenient for you to give up 2 passes. Seriously, it seems to me that you would have to be pretty bold to ask for something of such value from a co-worker. Of course, I don't understand the dynamics of your work environment, so I might be off base.

We are allowed to donate sick leave time to co-workers with serious illnesses, but the department vets requests for donated leave and puts out a list telling us who is eligible to receive it. That way, someone who has not used up all of their own sick leave hours, or who does not have medical documentation of a serious illness, cannot take advantage of co-workers. It's truly wonderful to be able to help someone out who has a serious illness, but there are some logical guidelines involved, and I have to keep enough hours for my own needs.

10:37 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Very nice of you to do as much as you did. You are a nice person.

4:20 PM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

Wow, I'd feel sour about that, too.

Hope you can find a good match in a shrink. Having been on both sides of the couch, I am a believer.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Hina said...

hey, don't be giving those passes away - to Hell with them - Charmander needs one - to fly with me!

9:42 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Rocalisa - welcome! Yes you are right I must take care of my mental health.

Austen - happy new year to you!

Merci - you see my point exactly!

Joe - thanks!

Secret Agent - thank you, I am a great believer in therapy.

Hina - I saved them for you!

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home