Tuesday, November 15, 2011

baby photo contests

Gotta make this quick, at work and have so much to do!! But I am rather tired of neglecting my blog.

Its funny, driving to work, I have all these topics I think about to write in the blog but as soon as I’m faced with the blank page of the computer, my mind wipes clean. Aye!

Traveling back from my in-laws, who live in Sacremento, I picked up the airline magazine and was hugely disappointed. It was awful. It seemed like basically they had pulled press releases from locations and published. There were no thoughtful pieces, nothing interesting. I know airplane magazines are not bastions of exciting reading but really, this is the height of sloppy work. Could not the editors club together something?

I freelance write on the side and am thinking of sending a query – what do you think? What topics would one want to see in an airline magazine article? I would like to use the fact that I work for the airline as part of the query letter, how should I word that? That I want better articles in the magazine, because it is a reflection of the airline (though the magazine is actually outsourced to a third party and not done in house by the airline).

Also, anyone have tips on entering baby into online baby photo contests?? She is adorable and if she won, would help boost her college fund.

Thanks!

4 Comments:

Blogger Hina said...

that's so me! I think of great topics and prose and then I get to the computer, and it is all gone...

I voted!

uh, I'd like to see something silly - I mean, you're trapped on a plane, write something about something silly!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I would find reading about things that a passenger doesn't usually know about the day to day operations of an airline would be interesting. I say Go for it!

My DIL entered one of the granddaughters in several of the photo contests and the money/good/etc,,,promised rarely materialized. Once or twice they sent an outfit and sent had her take her (1 1/2 hr drive) to a portrait studio but who knows if the catalog cover was for real, all she ever saw was an online cover, never the real thing. I just don't think most of them are on the up and up.

2:10 AM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

If there was a way to find out interesting things about places the airline travels and write about that? I don't know - I like to read about something I don't know much about.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Hina - good to know I'm not the only one.

Brenda - ahh so those baby contests are scams, thanks for the heads up!

Secret Agent - both you and Brenda suggested airline insider stuff, so I shall endeavor - thanks!

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home