Thursday, November 17, 2005

Pinging Thoughts

A lot going on in my head so will just post a few random thoughts for this Thursday....

The Apprentice Martha Stewart - So good last night, I love Jim! Looks-wise, he reminds me of my favorite uncle in India. Last night while being a regular Martha Stewart myself (baking cookies and making egg rolls while at the same time folding laundry and hand-washing some skirts), I watched the show. Jim was so nice to Marcella, giving her advice to fight for herself in the board room, for that alone he deserves to make the top four. I just hope he doesn't go crazy next week, as the previews are alluding too.

This story about the kid in PA who killed his girlfriend's parents is very sad and I'm sorry if there are those of you who will disagree, but it reiterates my opposition to home schooling. I went to college with a number of girls who were home schooled, and while nice, they were socially stunted and I can't say that they had better educations than I did, coming from a public school. A lot of those girls were like the way the Brady Bunch children were in the movie "The Brady Bunch Movie." I just think the social aspect, meeting with others your age, going through the rites and rituals (including being teased) is a part of growing up that is necessary, part of one's education (I know a run on sentence). I think it is foolish of parents to think that home schooling will somehow protect your children from the evils of the world. To truly protect your child, you need to give them a firm foundation to stand upon so when they are faced with tough decisions, they make the right choices. This story is just sad all-around.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/15/AR2005111500159.html

Virginia Gal Driving Rules Re-lesson - WHEN THE LIGHT IS GREEN, MOVE!!!! God I hate Northern Virginia traffic!

Book Review - Just finished Maeve Binchey's Scarlett Feather. I like Maeve Binchey (she wrote Circle of Friends), she gives you a feel of contemporary Ireland, always funny yet poignant. This was a good book, though a totally surprise ending from what I had expected. She touches upon the Irish dispora in America, actually making fun of their antiquated ideas of what Ireland is or was (everyone doesn't learn step dancing and eat corned beef and say "top o' the morning," hee hee). The story starts out fun, drags a bit in the middle and than leaves you anxious in the end to find out what happens. Though Evening Class is still my favorite Binchey, this is a good read, especially when traveling to Argentina. (oh and Merci also finished Good-bye Nobody, it was an easy read, but I hated the non-ending, dangnabbit, what does Kate decide to do with her life. I think Jennifer Weirner left it open for a sequel).

Hoping to see Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire this week-end. I wonder how they will condense a 700 page book into 2 hours? I have to keep reminding myself that that kid Daniel Radcliffe is NOT Harry Potter :-) .

Should I get involved in the local mosque committees where internal politics make the whole situation iffy...not sure, will contemplate it more.

Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes) "They say the world is a stage. But obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. We need more special effects and dance numbers."

5 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

Good Morning! I agree with your ideas that home schooling tend to stunt a child's social skills. I believe the diversity found in the classroom is an important part of their education.

Hope you enjoy the Harry Potter movie.

11:03 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Yes, special effects, and fireworks!
I agree with the home schooling - the usual reason is better education, avoid the hooligans. But the time can still be given to improve the base, and interaction is so much better.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Totally agree about Goodbye Nobody. And Evening Class is my favorite Binchy, too.

Still haven't seen the 3rd Potter movie; I'd better catch up fast! I have, of course, read all of the books.

I think there are times when homeschooling makes sense, but it's the exception, not the rule.

I get to do the Martha thing next week for Thanksgiving. I don't think Martha's got much to worry about, though!

7:47 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Of course, that would be Goodnight, Nobody. Oops.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Brenda - concur on the diversity, so important in a child's education. Thanks, I'm going to see Harry this Sunday!
Joe - oh yes fireworks, how grand would that be?! Rather than having children flee our schools, you're right, we should improve the base.
Merci - oops, it is Goodnigh Nobody, as they say in the movie Clueless, "my bad." Glad I wasn't the only one who finished that back with a question. I'm sure you will make Martha proud :-)

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home