Friday, January 06, 2006

This and That

Thanks to everyone for their comments yesterday - it helps to know that I'm not crazy and Western girls are not bad. I was/am still very upset by my friend's angry reaction and wonder if all Western Muslim guys think the same way - how does this bode for my future than?

Sad, sad week for many in America, I feel for those miner families in WV, my grandfather, uncle and his family live in WV. Contrary to Hollywood myth, people from WV are generally down to earth, friendly and welcoming (not hood-wearing racists). My grandfather is often saying antagonizing Anti-Bush things and so far he hasn't been visited by any gray men. Also the poor employees of Independence Air, I feel for them (will comment more next week) - how's that for the dummy prize ("hey you've spent all your money on Christmas, now you're out of a job! Dada dada da da").

Washington DC's Metro (subway) system is looking for a new voice to say "Doors closing" etc - you can send in your audition tape to WAMATA (I'm talking to you Molly Malone!). Someone was saying the other day that they should change the announcements to be more real i.e. instead of "Doors closing" they should say "doors are closing, either get in or out, moving a couple of inches forward isn't working, haul your ass!" I like the idea of reality announcements.

Continued outrage over the corruption by not only the Bush administration but by some Republicans in Congress has me reading more and more of ms. Molly Ivins - she is a hoot, check her out!

Major ice skating news (yes I'm totally into figure skating) - Michelle Kwan is NOT competing at Nationals. This means for her to get a berth on the Olympic team she will have to be chosen by the United States Figure Skating Association and bump one of the other girls. I have no doubt this will happen, she still has a better chance at medaling than some of the younger girls. Besides Michelle is the darling of the USFSA. I love Michelle's skating and I think she was robbed in 1998 by that twit Tara Lipinski, but honestly she is a very long shot to win the gold, she hasn't competed internationally in a long time and she came in 4th last year at Worlds. It would be a great story if she did though. http://www.usfsa.org/
Also ice dancer Tanith Belbin got her American citizenship so her team can compete in Torino - this is huge! Belbin and Ben Agosto are one of the top three teams in the world, they have a great chance of bringing home a medal to America, plus really shaking up the ice dancing competition (what a change from 2002, which was predictable to the point of boring). I'm excited, I love watching Belbin and Agosto! Now I just hope my Chinese team of Shen and Zhao get better in time to get to Torino and beat the good but so dull Russians in pairs. Closer to the Olympic's, I Virginia Gal, an avowed figure skating fan, shall give my predictions.

Have a good weekend!
From the television show Wings
Brian Hackett: [after a suggestion is made to make s'mores] No, I hate s'mores!
Joe: How could you hate s'mores?
Brian Hackett: Because that's the stupidest name for a food, like "It's so good, I want s-more," Those are so stupid, they should be called stupids!

5 Comments:

Blogger Merci said...

I was a Wings fan, back in the day.

If you think of some Muslim men who respect their wives,and value their opinions, you'll feel hopeful.

Might have to check out the figure skating scene this year. I used to follow it faithfully.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Melas said...

How can you mention Wings and skating in the same entry but writing about neither the Detroit Red Wings or hockey? C'mon. Although I now live in Illinois and can't here the Detroit radio station I used to listen to, I still love the boys from the Hockeytown USA.

But seriously, you're question about Western Muslim men is, to my mind, part of a larger issue of all men.

There is a mayor of a small town here in Illinois who believes that women are secondary to men because it is the Will of God. (This guy also thinks that only a few people are doing God's Will and most of them are people who agree with the guy.) He visited the hurricane zone in Mississippi and said that the poor people should be "shipped off somewhere else" and the land should be used for resorts and high priced development. "It's a once in a lifetime opportunity to get full use out of the land." I'm sure it won't surprise you, U, that the guy is a Republican.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Merci - oh yes, this is the year to come back to figure skating, it should be an interesting Olympics, especially womens singles and dance. I'll have to search my brain to find some Muslim men who really respect their wives, I know like three. Sheesh : )
I wish they would put Wings on DVD.
Melas - oh boo Detroit, I'm a Cap's fan, though right now I'm boycotting the NHL because the season is WAY too long! Thanks for the the story, in a way it makes me feel better that it is not only Islam that has its fair share of weirdos.
Laurie - oh my God you live close to where Tanith and Ben practice?!!! I am totally jealous! Where they practice is with a ton of other top dance teams from around the world, so its not only Tanith and Ben near you but like all these Olympians - I wonder if you can watch them practice?
As for us liking so many of the same things - great minds think alike!

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site » » »

3:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read Erie sauna acuvue Rid adware Blowjob gallery 1 saab of greenwich Patent attorneys co Vacuum belts for shark vacuum cleaners Vinyl label printer thermal Infiniti of norwood new location Low rate manufactured home refinance Fiat group cars Vardenafil india

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home