Thursday, December 22, 2005

Christmas/Holiday debate

I didn't really want to get into the fray of this whole "War on X-Mas" debate. But this morning I had this guy I was car-pooling with me, state very obviously, "this weekend I'll have a Merry Christmas and next weekend I'll have a happy holiday."

'oh Lord, we got a live one,' I thought. Give me a break! Who cares?! I felt like yelling at him, "get off your fat ass and care about something that means a damn! Stop trying to make your lazy self feel better about being a Christian by saying that you are fighting for Christ, if you really wanted to work for Christ, help those who can't help themselves, instead of arguing about a holiday that was converted from paganism. Crikes!"

In the end I got my own, when he dropped me off he said "Merry Christmas." I pointedly replied, "happy holidays." (ps, I think it is really rude to presume that I celebrate Christmas, cause I don't! Until you start saying "Eid Mubarak" to me, forget me saying "Merry Christmas" to you. It is a two way street my friend!).

My friend sent me this editorial written by someone at the New York Times, I think it sums up my feelings on the subject pretty well.

>December 18, 2005
>Op-Ed Columnist
>A Challenge for Bill O'Reilly
>By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF
>
>Let us all pray for Bill O'Reilly.
>
>Let us pray that Mr. O'Reilly will understand that the Christmas spirit
>isn't about hectoring people to say "Merry Christmas," rather than "Happy Holidays," but about helping the needy.
>
>Let us pray that Mr. O'Reilly will use his huge audience and considerable
>media savvy to save lives and fight genocide, instead of to vilify those
>he disagrees with. Let him find inspiration in Jesus, rather than in the
>Assyrians.
>
>Finally, let's pray that Mr. O'Reilly and other money-changers in the
>temple will donate the funds they raise exploiting Christmas - covering
>the nonexistent "War on Christmas" rakes in viewers and advertising - to
>feed the hungry and house the homeless.
Amen.
>
>Alas, not all prayers can be answered. Fox News Channel's crusade against
>infidels who prefer generic expressions like "Happy Holidays" included 58
>separate segments in just a five-day period.
>
>After I suggested in last Sunday's column that a better way to honor the
>season might be to stand up to genocide in Darfur (a calamity that Mr.
>O'Reilly has ignored), Mr. O'Reilly denounced me on his show as a
>"left-wing ideologue." Bless you, Mr. O'Reilly, and Merry Christmas to
>you, too!
>
>Later in the show, Mr. O'Reilly described us print journalists in general
>as "a bunch of vicious S.O.B.'s." Bless you again, Mr. O'Reilly; I'll pray
>harder for the Christmas spirit to soften your pugnacious soul.
>
>Look, I put up a "Christmas tree," rather than a "holiday tree," and I'm
>sure Mr. O'Reilly is right that political correctness leads to absurd
>contortions this time of year. But when you've seen what real war does,
>you don't lightly use the word to describe disagreements about Christmas
>greetings. And does it really make sense to offer 58 segments on political
>correctness and zero on genocide?
>
>Perhaps I'm particularly sensitive to religious hypocrites because I've
>spent a chunk of time abroad watching Muslim versions of Mr. O'Reilly -
>demagogic table-thumpers who exploit public religiosity as a cynical ploy
>to gain attention and money. And I always tell moderate Muslims that they
>need to stand up to blustery blowhards - so today, I'm taking my own
>advice.
>
>Like the fundamentalist Islamic preachers, Mr. O'Reilly is a talented
>showman, and my sense is that his ranting is a calculated performance. The
>couple of times I've been on his show, he was mild mannered and amiable
>until the camera light went on - and then he burst into aggrieved
>indignation, because he knew it made good theater.
>
>If Mr. O'Reilly wants to find a Christmas cause, he should invite guests
>from Catholic Relief Services, World Vision or the National Association of
>Evangelicals - among the many faith-based organizations that are doing
>heroic work battling everything from river blindness to sex trafficking.
>Indeed, the real victims of Mr. O'Reilly are the authentic religious
>conservatives, because some viewers falsely assume that ill-informed
>bombast characterizes the entire religious right.
>
>(I'm tempted to think that Mr. O'Reilly is actually a liberal plant, meant
>to discredit conservatives. Think about it. Who would be a better plant
>than a self-righteous bully in the style of Father Coughlin or Joe
>McCarthy? What better way to caricature the right than by having Mr.
>O'Reilly urge on air that the staff of Air America be imprisoned:
>"Dissent, fine; undermining, you're a traitor. Got it? So, all those
>clowns over at the liberal radio network, we could incarcerate them
>immediately. Will you have that done, please? Send over the F.B.I. and
>just put them in chains, because they, you know, they're undermining
>everything.")
>
>Some authentic religious conservatives are embarrassed by television
>phonies. Cal Thomas, the conservative Christian columnist, warned: "The
>effort by some cable TV hosts and ministers to force commercial
>establishments into wishing everyone a 'Merry Christmas' might be more
>objectionable to the One who is the reason for the season than the 'Happy
>Holidays' mantra required by some store managers."
>
>So I have a challenge for Mr. O'Reilly: If you really want to defend
>traditional values, then come with me on a trip to Darfur. I'll introduce
>you to mothers who have had their babies clubbed to death in front of
>them, to teenage girls who have been gang-raped and then mutilated - and
>to the government-armed thugs who do these things.
>
>You'll have to leave your studio, Bill. You'll encounter pure evil. If
>you're like me, you'll be scared. If you try to bully some of the goons in
>Darfur, they'll just hack your head off. But you'll also meet some genuine
>conservative Christians - aid workers who live the Gospel instead of
>sputtering about it - and you'll finally be using your talents for an
>important cause.
>
>So, Bill, what'll it be? Will you dare travel to a real war against
>Christmas values, in which the victims aren't offended shoppers but
>terrified children thrown on bonfires? I'm waiting to hear.

6 Comments:

Blogger Pax Romano said...

The only way to shut up O'Ragly is to turn him off, turn away, why oh why, does anyone even pay this nimrod any mind? He's nothing more than a rabble rouser, and history is lousy with this type. They come and go, and ultimately, will leave no mark in history other than a tiny ugly blip on a screen somewhere.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

Eid Mubarak, my love.

Kul 'am wa enta bi-khair!
Taqabbala Allahu minna wa minkum

I hope that is right and not too terribly offensive. I would hate to think I was saying something sweet and ended up saying, "Your Sister eats toads!"

That would be SO not cool!

Either way..... you are very loved!

8:58 AM  
Blogger Merci said...

There is no war on Christmas. It's a faux concept thrown out there to rile up the extreme right wing.

Ironically, for decades the debate was all about the commercialization of Christmas. Back then, the complaint was that retailers were trying to make money from Christmas. Now they're being told to use Christmas exclusively in their advertising.

7:19 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Eid Mubarak and Happy Holidays!

10:45 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Pax - you are so right, no point getting worked up over a bully. I just can't believe so many people listen to him!
Tony - thanks adorable Tony - you are loved also!
Merci - You have hit the nail on the head sister! I love how the right is able to manipulate things like this though...they are evil geniuses!
Joe - Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you!

7:36 AM  
Blogger Melas said...

You know I completely forgot. My only excuse is that I was in Mississippi working with Hurricane Katrina victims at the time. Sorry. Eid Mubarak

Patrick

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home