Friday, December 30, 2005

Happy New Year!




And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
-- Abraham Lincoln

I'm off to Tennessee to meet up with some friends from college for the New Year - it should be a nice way to spend the holiday. I was originally thinking of going to London, but now glad I'm not, with an impending Tube strike. I always look forward to New Year's, a clean slate, the prospect of a whole year in which my life plays out, hopefully as I wish it (though usually not exactly as I had thought).

Taking a page from Random Kath, I wanted to ask everyone a question - what is one big thing you will remember from 2005? For me, it can't be just one thing, I think I'll remember my crazy love-life, meeting someone who I hope will be "The One," traveling like mad getting to finally see Athens, Venice, Vienna, Edinburgh, Stockholm, and Buenos Aires, joining this crazy blogging world (thanks Adorable Tony), saying good-bye to co-workers as non-descript airline closes this location, reading the next chapter in Harry Potter's live with the sixth book in the series out, getting the actual author of our chosen book come to a bookclub meeting, learning to cook Indian food, sadly having some good friends pass away. Finally everyone in my family being safe and healthy for another year.

I wish everyone a happy, festive and fun New Year!! Stay safe.

9 Comments:

Blogger Melas said...

You asked for it.

The thing I'll remember most from 2005 is spending two weeks covering Hurricane Katrina recovery in Mississippi. It felt like I was the only journalist there. I was so moved by the plight of these folks that I used a week's vacation (all I had) and volunteered doing mental health in the free clinics that had popped up in parking lots and gutted buildings.

I am still haunted by what I saw there. It will be a long time before those people's lives return to any kind of normalcy.

The other thing I'll remember is V-Gal's crazy love life. Just remember there's still that family in Darien whose son is mixed up with a Christian white girl. Oh how is parent's would love you. Let me know if you want us to implement Operation Indian Shield and Operation Get-the-guy-for-U Storm.

H.N.Y!

6:08 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

2005 will be a year of so much...

parkinson's, blogging, making wonderful friends, katrina, rita, breaking up with Ruffian....

too many to list.... i will get back to you on this.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Maidy said...

For me in MMV? Ummm, let's see. Uh, well, ... dang. This is a toughy.

I'll get back to you, too.

In the meantime, Happy MMVI!!!!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Random Kath said...

2005 is the year:

* I started my blog and started to feel the desire to write ever more strongly than I did when I was little . . . and got to "meet" some pretty awesome people - especially dear VG!

* I took a trip across the country and back by train, seeing parts of the U.S. I had only heard about.

* I turned 35.

OK, it's not one thing, but they were pretty big things to me. :-)

11:04 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Happy, festive and fun to you too! Sounds like a world traveler to me - all the places you've been.

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey uba! this is fatima. found your blog. dinner at your place was fun. sorry i missed out on the mall today, didn't get the call till late because my phone was buried in my purse. anywho, tell hina sorry we had to play phone tag but ill see u soon inshallah.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

P - oh you are sweet - I'll think about this operation shield thing, who knows I might need it!
Adorable Tony - goodness, a lot in your life in 2005 - sadly that horrible Parkinsons, we shall bet it!
Laurie - I'm glad we meet also! I hope this year you see less drama, unless it is of the happy kind.
Maidink - happy new year to you also (I'd say 2005 was memorable for your marriage, no?).
Random Kath - all very cool things in 2005. I'm glad Tony got me blogging, I've met such great people like you!
Joe - I love to travel, good thing I work for an airline, hee hee. I hope you had a good New Year's!
Fatima - we missed you, but we figured you didn't get the message. Everybody and their brother was in the mall yesterday, crazy! Thanks for stopping by, hope my blog isn't too boring.

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heyyy!its Vale here!!!!i spent all of yesterday asking Charmsy to give you a hug from me but she refuses to so.....*hugs youu very tight* !!
How are you??!!Remember me??!!hehe!!

Happy New Year darling!!

and..wait...you've been to Buenos Aires??!!!*is very envious*

big hugs and lots of kisses!

7:03 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Val!!!

Happy New Year's to you - Charmander is a ninny, I send you hugs back.

When are you coming to America? You must come and visit our town (not nearly as chic and cool as Milan).

Best of luck with your thesis! Please tell Elli, I say hello.
- Charmander's sister

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home