Monday, February 06, 2006

Comic

Right so I said I would post about the current hoopla going on with the Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) comic.

I think PissedOffPencil and Molly Malone have presented some good arguments and should also be included in the debate. As I said in POP's comments, this has become a flash point for Muslims around the world. My father did say that it was included in the Friday prayers he attends and I imagine his was was not the only all-male congregation where this topic was dicussed. I wouldn't be surprised if every single Friday prayers services around the world on Friday February 3rd didn't have this comic as its main talking point.

Why is this comic so inflammatory? Because it is about the Prophet (pbuh), the most important PERSON in Islam. His life and deeds are core to the practice of Islam - we use him as an example for ourselves (similar to how Christians use Jesus, pbuh). There are two main points to the comic that make it offensive:
1. It depicts the Prophet (pbuh). This is a HUGE sin in Islam - to make graven images. During the establishment of Islam, the people of Arabia were worshipping idols, statues of monkeys and rats. This angered God. Nothing should be worshipped but God, the creator of all things. Out of a fear that having his image created would lead to his worship, the Prophet (pbuh) forbid pictures of himself. NO ONE in Islam thinks of breaking this command. It is blasphemous to us.
2. This comic shows the Prophet (pbuh) as a terrorist, with a bomb on his head. It is this second point that angers me. What is the basis behind this thought?

The problem for me is that editorial comics are suppose to make fun, to be a satire, but I don't see the humor in this Prophet (pbuh) comic. What exactly was the person trying to say? That Islam is a terrorist religion, that from its inception, from its last prophet, it has enjoyed and actively encouraged terrorism? This is such an ignorant, racist point of view, I don't see any humor or profound message in the comic. What are we suppose to come away with from this comic, what deeper thoughts am I to be thinking? It's like a Klan member drawing a comic of a black man eating a white baby - its not funny and it has no basis in reality. Its like a little kid drawing a boogey man.

Why would you post this comic, alienating not just extreme Muslims but all Muslims, including moderate ones like myself? It is so blatantly racist, I feel like the strip came from the court of Isabel and Ferdiand, as a means to incite further violence against the Muslims. Don't think we Muslims don't see Crusade in all of these actions, including this strip. I suppose I just don't get it, pick and choose your battles - is this really the fight you want to get into against Muslims? Isn't there something better or bigger?

I'm all for freedom of speech. Fine go ahead and publish this piece of absurdity, just like white cafes had the right to deny service to blacks in the 1950's, but I'm going to participate in the economic boycott - hit them where it hurts! Don't get me wrong, I think the violent reaction to the comic is overkill - the last thing we need to do is prove this racist comic creater he was right about Muslims. Also, I understand Muslims are not the only ones who get made fun of, but trust me, we have NO sense of humor when it comes to our religion.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out...

14 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Sorry, I understand your anger but do not agree. Raised a Catholic, I quite often see cartoons of Christ. Not to mention (ok, I mentioned it) the mentions in South Park. The freedom to say things and depict individuals and actions is something that should not be repressed. If you don't like it then don't like it, but don't burn down embassies and hurt people. Seeing posters 'Kill those who blasphem against Islam' is a little too much for me. Kill somebody because they draw a cartoon? Which side looks more rediculous. I think God (whatever one you want to talk to) can take care of himself without anybody taking things into their own hands.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

I agree violence is not the answer Joe, and re-read my post, I NEVER said that I disagree with freedom of press on the contrary I say everything should be allowed (heck I listen to Howard Stern, who am I to say what can and can't be aired) - my argument is why this comic? What exactly is it doing? I disagree with the message in it and I'm going to vote with my wallet - you're welcome to say and publish whatever you want doesn't mean I have to buy your paper or listen to your news.
And just because Christians have no problem with making fun of Christ, doesn't mean we Muslims are the same.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

VG,

John Lennon said it and sang it best, and this is all I can add to the discussion:

Imagine there's no countries,
It isn’t hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

3:05 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Pax - well said!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

It's so very easy to single out an entire religion, than it is to single out those who make the religion look bad.

I'm not even muslim and I found the cartoon in poor taste.

Not only by depicting Mohammed, but also by making HIM a terrorist IN that depiction, is like drawing a picture of Jesus with a shirt that says "Kill Chavez." Jesus didn't say that... Pat Robertson DID. Big difference.

Either way, IMHO, the cartoon was hateful and should NEVER have seen the light of day.... I understand the anger, but I also see the violence on TV and think, "Uh... there ARE better ways, guys. Not really doing much to change the whole 'Muslims are violent' thought pattern with that.

It's a catch 22.

But, I still love you! :-)

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe you go girl!
naema*(who forgot her password!)

8:56 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Using Mohammed as the symbol for Islam was a mistake, and the cartoon is in poor taste. The artist might have looked for a different symbol to use when depicting a mindset of violence, one that is more specific to the radical elements. Unfortunately, the world has not had much of a chance to see the gentle side of Islam. Thank you, VG, for letting us see that in you. Too often we just see the violence. We see the leader of Iran saying that the holocaust didn't happen, and calling for the total annihilation of Israel. Ditto the new leaders of Palestine. We hear radical elements talking about eliminating all non-muslims from the face of the earth, and we see our leaders being burned in effigy in the streets of the Middle East.

I know that these things don't represent all of Islam. We need better images to replace them. It would be nice to see more news coverage of Muslim leaders taking a stand against violence and hatred, just as it would be nice to see more coverage of Christian leaders crying out against the awful things said and done in the name of Christianity.

5:00 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Snicks - thank you I couldn't have said it better about the "violent nature" of all reglions. Yes the comic was very stereotypied.
Tony - You are right the violent reaction does nothing to help the Muslim cause - the chasm between moderate Muslims and these extremists is growing, it is a catch-22. And I love you too : )
Naema - thanks man (maybe if you blogged more you'd remember your password, sheesh) hee hee.
Merci - I couldn't agree with you more, we Muslims desperately need some leaders who are not freaks. Part of the problem is that Muslims are often representated by Arabs, who not the only face of Islam. It would be nice if the media looked to some of the South Asian countries where Muslims tend to be not so extreme. I also concur the world of late has not had the chance to see the gentler side of Islam - I think this new side of the religion has sprouted up from the oil boom and unexpected wealth, coupled with extreme poverty and ignorance and we are left with this dangerous situation. I know definitely inside the religion we are looking at how to take it back from the extremists. Unfortunately easier said than done.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Laurie - you are right, acting out in violence just perpuates the stereotype.
oh hey they had a great review of "The Cell" in this week's Washington Post book review, I thought of you. It sounds interesting (great concept considering how addicted we are with our cell phones), you will have to blog about it and let us know.

9:12 AM  
Blogger PissedOffPencil said...

One thing that is very important to remember is that, as I stated in one of my posts, the number of Muslims (alledged Muslims) resorting to violence is very, very small. Unfortunatley the media so far has concentrated on the more dramatic aspects.

It's quite laughable to hear that 500 protesters attacked an embassy in a city with ten million citizens and have this reported as "the Muslim followers on rampage". And looking at the news, it struck me that many of those 500 people seemed to be teenagers, possibly taking the advantage of letting out some of their frustrations. That's nothing new, it happenend in Gothenburg too.

4:52 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

I loved that point POP - your posts on this issue have been fantastic! You have really gotten to some of the serious underlying problems on this situation and the whole state of affairs for Muslims worldwide. You have approached everything with intelligence and rationale thinking and this is what everyone really needs. Perhaps you should think of submitting some of them for editorials or working for the UN?

8:05 AM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

How true that it is always the minority in a religion/culture/whatever group that make the majority look bad. I always wonder what the world must think of North American women when our major exports are such "stellar" examples as Paris (kill me now) Hilton, Sara Jessica Parker, Pamela Anderson and even Angelina Jolie to an extent. She's doing lots of good with her charitable nature, but she's still a bombshell widely believed to be a homewrecker. All that translates to: American women are vapid sluts or otherwise sex mongers. And just because I fit that description doesn't mean we all do!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Molly - you are correct, what we export does affect other cultures thinking of us - for the longest time my grandfather thought those people he saw on Jerry Springer representated most of America. How sad.

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. tv chair car Folding poker blackjack table top bombardier car tvs stereo and car dvd layer arctic cat and tvs stereo car Massachusetts laser tattoo removal cost install dvd car http://www.mazda-7.info/Cartv8.html drug employment pharmacy store beecham vitamins http://www.purchase-valium.info car monitor touch screen Cheapest weekly car rental deals Dodge durango super charger car indash dvd

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home