Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!


Today January 24th is Virginia Gal's birthday!! In honor of the day, I thought I'd tell my blog birth story. (I was going to include a photo of myself but this stupid blogspot is acting up, I'm actually writing this post again, it deleted my first draft, urgh!).

It all started after the 2004 presidential elections. I was very depressed over the results, having wanted John Kerry to win. I didn't like GW and felt him and his cronies were going to lead the country in the wrong direction. I couldn't believe this had happened and felt all alone. Knowing my misery, I had a friend who sent me some funny forwards about Bush, Republicans and the stupid people who voted for Bush. In one of those emails, she included a site to cheer me up - http://www.sorryeverybody.com/. I loved it! Here were all these other people who were like me - liberals, open-minded thinkers who couldn't believe that Bush had won, again!

Going through the pages of shots of people apologizing for Bush's win, I came across a photo of a guy who had his blog address splashed across the length of the picture. Having heard about this neat world of blogging but never experienced it and desperately wanting to be around similar-minded people, I thought I'd give this person's site a go. He had voted for Kerry so he couldn't be all bad, no? It was the magnificently fabulous Pax Ramano. The blog was funny, a blend of current events, Hollywood, his daily goings-ons and sometimes political rants. I took to reading it everyday, it always brought a smile to my face. Soon I was a regular, commenting and being included in sing-alongs (more Sound of Music please!).

One day Pax wrote a post about a fellow blogger of his, a friend who had just been given some bad news. Pax asked us readers to visit this chap's blog and give him some love. My heart went out to this blogger who had been told at 30, that he had Parkinson's disease. I couldn't even imagine how hard that could be. Even after giving my sympathies, I started visiting this gentleman's site daily, to check to see how he was doing. Soon, I feel madly in love with Adorable Tony. He and I are so much alike, both love strong Southern men (Anderson Cooper, John Edwards), Buffy the Vampire Slayer and watching the idiosyncrasies of people.

After about eight months of being a regular on both Pax and Tony's sites, Adorable Tony began a campaign to get me a blog. I was hesitant, I'm not that computer saavy and I wasn't sure anyone would want to read what I had to say. Six months later, I'm glad Tony was successful in persuading me to do this. This site has been a great outlet for me to vent, to think outloud or just to ponder deep questions about life at al.

From Pax's site, I have found Lost, Merci, Snicks and Piggy&Tazzy. From Tony I've stumbled ontoMaidink and Brenda and through her Laurie and Divine Calm. From P&T, I've found Belinda. From Laurie, I came across Mizbohemia. PissedoffPencil found me (thanks!) and through him I found Random Kath. Random Kath put me onto London Underground and via that site, I found JoeinVegas. Of course there are also my friends who have started their own blogs, Molly Malone and P- . These are my regular reads. However, I am starting to visit other locations and hope to become part of those cyber families as well.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their lives with me. I have enjoyed reading all the interesting posts that have made me laugh, cry or just nod in agreement. I appreciate you visiting this wacky hypenated American, lifting me up when I'm feeling down, getting outraged on my behalf, laughing at my weird sense of humor....just listening. Thanks for including me in this wonderful world of blogging. I couldn't ask for a better birthday gift.

14 Comments:

Blogger Pax Romano said...

So does this make me your "Blog Father"?

Happy Birthday, VG, have a great day full of ice-cream and cake AND NO SMOOTH JAZZ!!!!!!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Rowan said...

Happpy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Virginia
Happy Birthday to you!

So, are you really 22 then?

10:45 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Happy birthday! Wow, you do have a list to read!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Maidy said...

(sung poorly and out of tune)

Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday TO You
Happy BIIIIIRRRTHday Deeeeeeear Veee-geee
Happy Birthday TOOOOOOOOOO YOOOOOOOU!

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's "me" (WERS) again. Happy B-day! Hope you are having a great day...I may have to start one of these things!! It is kind of fun!
H

2:18 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY LOVE!!!!


Many, many hugs and kisses from here to there. :-)

3:14 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Many happy returns of the day! Hope this is the your marvelous year so far.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Oopsy. Trust me to get your birthday greeting twisted around. Hope this is your most marvelous year so far.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

i just started reading Pax's blog at the time he posted that story about Tony. After I became addicted to reading blogs, Pax even talked me into starting my own blog. He is a world shaker that Pax.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Melas said...

You're 30? It seems to me that when we met in August, 2004 you were 28, so January came and went making 29, and then today came and wham, you're 30. Unless I'm doing the math wrong.
I want to say to everyone who might read, stumble across, or be spying on this web site (Hi Mr. Rumsfeld): Virginia Gal is one of the greatest women--nay persons--on the planet. Love her, listen to her and learn of her. I do.

P.

Happy Birthday, U!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Pax - thanks for the shout out on your blog, you are my blog father, hee hee. oh and ps, sorry for misspelling your name, can you tell which subject I did not do well in?
Rowan - thank you - 22, I wish. No I'm (pause) 29. Still unmarried, silent sob.
Joe - thanks for the well wishes!
Maidink - your rendition brought a tear to my eye. Thanks.
H - yes, start a blog, they are fun! Thanks for the birthday well wishes!
Tony - thank you sir for the birthday wishes - you are my blog Godmother - without you there would be no Virginia Gal thoughts.
Merci - amen, thank you. I do so hope this is my most fantastic, marvelous year ever!
Joe - thanks for stopping by! Yup that Pax - he is powerful. After he is done saving the poor and disenfranchised in NJ, we have to have him run for office : )
P - thanks for the praise.Oh God no, I'm 29, eeck, don't even bring up 30 - seriously I'm like Joey on Friends, God and I have a deal, there will be no 30! Unless I'm married or engaged. LOL.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Laurie and Divine - oh thanks for the love. How were you to know it was my b-day. Now on the other hand, people who have known me for years - no excuses for forgetting about me : )

2:28 PM  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

OH! So sorry I missed this, but happy birthday, you beautiful thing, you! And I agree, the internet is a wonderful thing. I about died when I found out that Adorable Tony lives, like, 5 miles from me.

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... asbestos mesothelioma cancer lawsuit settlement11 roulete tracker cruise to hartford Lead generation business opportunity Samsung projector h710ae Levitra bayer levitra Online instantly free credit report Pregnancy and vitamin c lingerie models forum Cancer pack free roulette table Heated cover car seat amateur allure samples

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home