Wednesday, February 01, 2006

View from the 23rd Row

Security
Since 9/11 getting through the airport security line has became more than an annoyance it has often become the bane of my existence. The wait is always long and you waste so much time, especially when you are running late to catch your flight (which, yes, I do a lot). People act as if they have never been through a security line before and become fumbling idiots.

Because I travel so much I know how to dress and pack in order to get through the line in five minutes or less, but what holds me up is all the other dingbats uh people. So for my faithful readers, I'm going to give you some tips to make you better, more aware, passengers and get you through the security line at the airport quicker!

1. Dress appropriately - when you wake up that morning of your flight, spend some time to think about what to wear. Avoid clothes with a lot of metal, buttons, buckles, chains etc. A simple pair of jeans with a cloth belt and a nice shirt should do. Layers will work against you.
2. Wear sensible shoes - after Richard Reed's shoebombing attempt, security now makes a point of checking everyone's shoes. Pick a pair of shoes you can slip on and off, i.e. loafers or mules. DON'T wear sneakers or anything with lace - they take forever to get off! Boots and anything else that is excessivly heavy are a no-no also, because again it takes to much time to get them off. I have invested in a pair of simple Chinese slippers that are so soft and clothy that I don't even have to take them off cause they never cause the security machine to beep. These are a great alternative if you hate being barefoot like me.
3. Accessories - keep it simple ladies - leave the bling for when you arrive at your destination. No metal bangles, they always set the machines off, maybe one nice necklace and a pair of earings and that should be it, unless you want to get the body search. Also keep bobby pins to a minmium, at some airports these tiny hair helpers can cause you to beep in the security machine.
4. Men keep keys, coins etc outside - perhaps in your carry-on or in a man purse. You squander so much time digging in your pants pockets or jacket trying to find all of that stuff and it is stupid, cause you knew that all that metal crap would set the machine off, why do you try my patience by not having this stuff all in one area before getting to security!
5. Carry-on's - pack your essentials and that should be it - you don't need to bring the entire electronic's department from Circuit City. Half the stuff you pack you probably won't even use. Remember scissors, knives, guns, nail files, lighters, and explosive devices are not allowed in your carry-on.

Getting Through Security
1. Biggest mistake I see most people make, they put away their I.D. and boarding pass before coming to the line. YOU WILL NEED BOTH OF THESE ITEMS - DON'T PUT YOUR BOARDING PASS AND I.D. AWAY, KEEP THEM OUT UNTIL YOU GET TO YOUR GATE!!!! People waste so much of my time when they have to go searching through a purse or jacket to find the boarding pass and I.D. - it is beyond annoying, stupid people!
2. Be ready - don't have six different things in your hand - you should have one carry-on and one personal item - that's it!
3. When you get to the line, have your laptop and umbrella out of your carry-on, so you can quickly put them into the bins - laptops and umbrella's have to go through the machine outside of your carry-on.
4. When you get to the point in the line when you can start putting stuff down, place your carry-on bag on the conveyor belt first (you won't need a bin for this) - than your one personal item. If you have a laptop, this is when you will pick up ONE bin and put it in that. Now pick up ONE more bin - Take your shoes off put them in that, next to them, place your coat or sweater (if you are wearing one) in the same bin. Men if you have all this loose change (which you smartly had all together in a plastic baggie), put it in a smaller bin. At this point you should be ready to go through the security machine. If you follow this method exactly, it should be boom boom boom - you are through the line.
5. If you have an option to chose your security line, avoid those with businessmen and children, both of these groups don't pay attention and can tack on another 10 minutes to this ordeal. Lines with babies is not even an option, they are the plague of security!

With these tips you should get through security with ease, and soon you will be like me, annoyed at the stupidity and ineptness of your fellow passengers to do this simple task. For more tips, I've attached a sheet from the TSA, the agency that overseas airport security in America.

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1254.xml

Happy flying!

6 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Please, don't start on airport security. Sorry, I don't feel that they do anything useful in this world except annoy travelers. Take the money from those guys and beef up the cockpit doors, put two armed guards on every airplane, and don't take away my fingernail clippers.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Joe - I agree with you completely, I do think airport security is a joke but until the federal government feels that way, we will have to put up with this crap security. I'm trying to just provide some tips to make the process as painless as possible. Besides middle America seems to take some comfort from these security, stupid red voters.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Random Kath said...

. . . And you wonder why I like taking the train everywhere!

I actually used to not mind flying too much in the late 90s, but then my job changed to where I didn't have to travel. And then Mr. Random had a nasty incident with turbulence flying out of Houston to Ontario . . . and then all of these lovely security measures were taken, and now if I wanted to fly somehwere by myself, Mr. Random could no longer sit and wait with me until I got the plane - which I think is the lousiest thing they could have done - especially for those of us who are nervous about flying in the first place . . .

I actually wouldn't mind getting strip searched so long as I could have someone with me when I'm waiting, otherwise I'm just a nervous wreck . . .

11:57 AM  
Blogger Merci said...

I hate long lines. Customs and security - YUK.

Do you have any tips for understanding VAT and preparing customs forms?

I'm like pathologically honest on the forms - it drives my husband nuts. Of course, if it weren't for me, he'd probably be incarcerated in a foreign city by now. He never reads about the procedures before we travel, and he would break all the rules if left to his own devices.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Random Kath - I hate that we can't go through security anymore without a boarding pass. I use to love to hang at the airport and watch people and the planes and we can't do that. Carriers will give boarding passes for situations where the traveler needs help, i.e. unaccompanied minors, senior citizens, handicapped.
Snicks - HA HA HA - I have the perfect guy for you, he works here and we are always joking that next time he goes through security and they make him get strip searched, he is going to bring a portable radio and start his own show on the conveyer belt. Funnily enough when I told him I was writing this post, he suggested I should include a tip on if you WANT to get body searched, hee hee.
Merci - oh good idea for next week's column, forms and such! I myself don't buy enough to really get a VAT, but my sister uses them all the time and they are pretty straightforward. As for customs forms, ahh don't sweat it - unless you are transporting tons of stuff, like a business, or you travel a ton, they are not even going to pay attention. You are so cute, being so honest, I use to be that way, but after the 20th time of filling that crap out and no one reading it, I gave up.
Divine - no problem, if I can help just one person get through security without wanting to throw a temper tantrum, I've done my job : )

8:21 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Snicks - line your shorts with aluminum foil. Or drop a gun down there. That will get you stopped about once every three times through.

Or do like my daughter - be a short blond white person. Usually they pull four or five 'random' people away and do full searches. When she flies it's always four 'Arab looking' guys and her, with her in there just to proove they don't to type casting.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home