Thursday, February 09, 2006

So Much Going on!

Oh this post is going to be all over the place - much going on that I want to blog about!

1. Project Runway - totally bummed that Nick got the boot but his creations of late have not been stellar. Now I'll about Chloe, I so hope she wins! Felt a little bad for Santino, he was totally being excluded and you could see that it did hurt him, must have been what it was like for him growing up in small-town America.

2. Got an email yesterday from my local Muslim Assocation (the Mosque) about how to handle this comic situation, thought it was really good and wanted to share some points with my fellow bloggers to show how most Muslims are reacting and what the official line of my congregation is:
  • Express anger and disgust within the framework of the law of the country. Use the law of the country to its full capacity
  • Do not be violent in any way and do not burn buildings, cars, etc.
  • Do not confine expression of anger to the cartoon issue. Use the opportunity to express the disgust on Islamophobia in general and highlight some pertinent issues.
  • Do not conduct ourselves with our fellow non-Muslim citizens in a way that offend them and look for an opportunity to get back at us. We will then be the cause of them showing disrespect to Islam and Islamic values. Always express good character and conduct to all.

3. Figure Skating predictions: I am so excited about tomorrow's opening of the Winter Olympic's!! I love the Winter Olympic's - there is something about them that just makes me happy. I think I will reserve Friday's post for my predictions for winners of each of the disciplines in Figure Skating (which I am addicted too!). In some of the areas it is shaping up to be an interesting competition. My only regret is that I didn't buy tickets to go...goodness knows I could have flown over there for free...oh well. What was meant to be will be, no?

9 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

On No. 2: I wrote very briefly on the matter, only pointing to a long thread at another blog where there was a long-winded debate. I indicated that I did not wish to take a side because the discussion was becoming too aggressive for me.

As a consequence of this, I received an unsolicited email from a zealot who "wanted to set me straight".

I promise not to defame Muslims except as I challenge Christians about their failure to live up to their faith. (To both I offer Matthew Chapter 6.) I understand the context of both positions here and that is why I do not want to get involved. Let it work out for itself.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Buffy said...

No 2...very enlightening.

No 3....I lose interest in all winter sports when Kurt Browning went bald.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

So here we are VG, Muslim and Christian, and we get along. Sounds like a start to me!

8:59 PM  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

Nice to see that you have already been comporting yourself in the way the flyer recommends, huh? Of course, I know you were probably about to set fire to something tomorrow....

9:52 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Joel - I agree the dicussion is becoming quite agressive, I think I too might take a step back. It offended me, but for goodness sake's its just a comic, there are larger issues for me to get outraged about.
Buffy - ha ha - Kurt is balding. I love him though, I try to see him every year when he's touring with Stars on Ice. I think he is one of the best skaters who never won an Olympic medal.
Any - thanks for the love.
Merci - lovely start indeed - if only we could spread this tolerance and acceptance to people around the world.
Belinda - dangnabbit you caught me, I was going to go and smash up Virgin Atlantic's check-in counters (just kidding). Being Indian,I don't think I'd ever resort to violence to get my point across - I find non-violent protests are the best way to go (though not as immediate, but with more long-lasting results).

8:03 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

As discussed before, how about a point 5 - be offended, but realize that not everyone will believe as you do, and so learn to ignore instead of trying to force everyone to be like you. Feel free to react, but tolerate the beliefs of others.

I hear that the boycott is very effective, and Danish products are at a standstill in most of the middle east.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Joe - I am offended by the comic and do realize everyone has a right to believe what they want JUST as I have a right to voice my offense and JUST as I have a right to react by not supporting that institution which offends me, in this case the newspaper. I do the same thing with Chic-Fil-A, I am offended by their support of right wing Christian fanatic groups, so I don't go there.

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Honda hawk brochure Buying tamiflu witout presciption bras in public 16buy xenical uk

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! proper dosing of provigil for bipolar depression Benzphetamine vs phendimetrazine

1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home