Thursday, March 16, 2006

Addendum

This is an addeundum from yesterday's post - some of you have asked how to pack a carry-on so you don't have to have any luggage at all.

I happen to be an expert on this as I travel stand-by and checking luggage in as a stand-by is a nightmare. All my travels since working with non-descript airline have been with carry-on bag only.

Here are my tips:
  1. Travel size everything, makes it smaller.
  2. Bring outfits you can mix and match, I have a black turtleneck that goes with everything, I just use that every other day of the trip with a different skirt.
  3. Determine which two pairs of shoes you want most to bring, pack one and wear the other. That's it, don't bring any more shoes!
  4. Like to read as I do, bring a paperback, more flexible.
  5. Roll everything that can be rolled, gives you more space.
  6. Bring disposable things or things you want to give away, like toothbrushes, use it on the trip and throw it away before your return flight home. For Australia, I brought cloths that I liked but was planning on giving to charity, so I wore them there and on my last day put them in a bag and had the hotel help get them to a local charity shop.
  7. Decide in advance what you are going to wear each day of the trip, and than pack ONLY those accessories that go with that.
  8. Try to figure out what you might get at your destination - most American hotels have irons, hair dryers, don't pack those things.
  9. Realize everything will not be able to come, so look and see what is most important and put the other stuff to the side.

Hope that helps - happy traveling!

7 Comments:

Blogger Pax Romano said...

VG,
For being the master mind behind satanic world domination; this is some great practical information!

How do you find the time to come up with such great tips while trying to take over the world?!?!

You make your Blog-Father so proud!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Maidy said...

My brother taught me many moons ago, "If you can't carry it with you, you don't need it." I never go through the check-in line because everything I need for my travel is in my carry-on bag. I always do laundry while I'm traveling which also save on space.

I like your tip on disposable and donating. I'll use that next time I go away.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Maidy said...

I just read your other post.

I'm not a cheater. I travel light! And my carry on is NOT huge! It can fit under the seat in front of me just fine. And I rarely ever use overhead space.

Okay, I'm done.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Pax - The beauty of trying to take over the world is how multi-tasked I am, all these trips are just for me to scout out what I'm conquering, hee hee.
Glad I make you proud.
Maidink - hee hee, here is how to know if you are a cheater or not, does your suitcase reach to your waist or higher? Can you not wrap your hands around the bag? If you answered yes to both questions, the bag is TOO BIG. Otherwise, congrad's on learning how to travel right (baggage is not needed unless for long trips, people pack WAY too much).

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site...
» »

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP »

2:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! porsche 944 specs Give valium cat imitrex pda map point for palm os http://www.eczema-psoriasis.info/Infinitisale.html imitrex sale online eyeglasses showrooms appliances topsfield massachusetts

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home