Wednesday, March 01, 2006

View from the 23rd Row

This is going to be a short one.

Forms:
Merci asked me in one of my posts about the forms one has to fill out when traveling internationally. I have become a pro at doing these things, so here is some of my advice:

1. ALWAYS carry a pen with you in your purse or pocket, so when the flight attendant passes out the form you can fill out the form straightway. Nothing is more annoying than wasting time at a counter in the immigration control area filling it out and going to the back of the line. If you have gotten off a plane seated to 300, that is A LOT of people in front of you!
1b. Have your passport nearby - every form I've ever seen asks you for a passport number.

2. US citizens, when re-entering the US, only have to fill out a customs form. Really the customs agency is looking for people who have spent a ton of money, over $1,000 and that too on very specific things (jewelry, antiques, fur, luxury items). People who are doing business are the main target. If you went to London and just bought a few trinkets, round to the nearest dollar and be done with it. They don't need you to list every t-shirt and key chain you have brought in.

3. As best as you can, get the address of where you are staying. Last time I went to London I got harrassed by the immigration person because I didn't have the street number of my friend's home.

4. Make sure your passport is not going to expire soon and that it has enough pages to stamp in. Too close to your passport expy date and some countries won't let you in - not enough pages and some immigration officials will harrague you (as happened to me in Australia).

5. Check the state department website before leaving to ensure that where you are going doesn't require a visa. Some country's that you think you wouldn't need one as an American citizen, do, like Australia.

5 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

A visa for Australia?

11:22 AM  
Blogger NM said...

i agree with the passport thing. i got my new one, but i look like im possesed by the passport demon.
oh and i updated.but nothing happy.so i don't want to make you sad.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Thanks so very much, Virginia Gal! I'm going to print this series, as soon as I buy some more paper :) I want to keep it for reference. I know I'll get to travel again one of these days!

12:39 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Joe - yup, amazingly Australia wants a visa, I guess they are worried we will come over, love it and want to stay, hee hee.
Naema - Hin told me about the tennis team, that sucks yo! Don't worry, you didn't want to be on that stupid team anyway!
Merci - my pleasure, feel free to ask me anything, if I don't know, I'm in an office full of people, someone will know! Yes, we will have to get you on a plane soon!

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! »

12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home