Monday, February 19, 2007

Why Muslim Guys Only?

It's 1:30am, I should be sleeping, I have a test on Tuesday...but I actually really enjoy this part of the day the best, right before I go to bed, just sitting at my desk, with my soft yellow lighting casting a circle around my laptop, my National Geographic map of the world in front of me - listening to my favorite Bollywood tunes, the rest of the world around me asleep. Its so calm, peaceful.

Lovely dear Blog God-father Pax asked me a question about my previous post that made me smile. Why? Because what he asked, has been poised to me a number of times. In my last post I said how one of my goals was to be married to a nice Muslim boy. He asked, "Why Muslim?" Many of my good friends from Mary Baldwin would reiterate the same thing - they felt I was limiting myself. All through I've been asked this question. Besides as one of my closest friends pointed out, almost all the guys (prior to my trips to England) that I had crushes on or liked were not Muslim at all.

How to answer.....I suppose why I have this one big criteria of my future spouse is that religion is very important to me, despite my constant gripping about this or that about my fellow Muslim's, I feel very connected to the faith itself, its an intergral part of who I am. I think a Muslim guy would understand that best, along with all the customs and traditions that come along with that. I think I would be more comfortable with someone who was comfortable with this, with Islam and believed, faith-wise, the same I did (which means he would have to be a liberal Muslim). I guess I just think that I would have real difficulty being with someone whose faith that I perhaps respect but don't believe in - does that make sense? Am I articulating this correctly?

Also to a large extent I really want a Muslim guy because its imperative that my children are Muslim. No questions about it there. I think it would be easier for me to raise my children Muslim if there dad was Muslim also.

Goodness, I hope this is coming out right. I don't mean to offend anyone. I have no issues with people who marry out of their religion. I don't think its bad, I just don't think its right for me. To each his own, no?

5 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

That's freedom, the right to do whatever you want to do.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

i left my comment for you on my blog. i ramble too much.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Joe - thanks!

Molly - your sentiments were lovely, thank you.

12:50 AM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

VG,

Thanks for making things clear.

I respect your view...however, if Prince William got down on his knee and proposed what would you say????

Sorry, I just had to ask..

9:13 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Pax - LOL!!! It's funny because when I was in my infatuation stage with Ben Affleck, I use to say that for him, I'd make the exception. I think that rule applies for Prince William, definitely!!!

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home