Thursday, March 22, 2007

Love Story

My economics professor let us out early today, so I can update my blog since I have some opportunity time!

Feeling a bit sad at the realization that perhaps the reason I still haven't gotten married is because I want this happily ever after, this magical romance where I'll be madly hit with passion for my significant other, so that I see no other man but the reality is that most people don't have that do they? And if I don't get that, will I be adult enough now to live with it...I think maybe, but it will be a life laced with perputual sadness and that is upsetting to me. Just another part of growing up that sucks!

Congrad's to my favorite ice-skating pairs team - did I not call it people?! http://virginiagal.blogspot.com/2007/03/caa-champions-and-figure-skating-update.html

They won the World Figure Skating Championships last night.
First: Shen and Zhao (China)
Second: Pang andTong (China)
Third: Savchenko and Szolkowy (Germany)
and in the spirit of full disclosure, part of the reason I love the always humble Shen and Zhao is the sweet love story they have. She was not originally suppose to be his partner, she wasn't even originally suppose to go the national training center in Bejing (sp), but her dad and local coaches fought for her to be paired up with the best guy in the program, Zhao, because she was so committed to the sport. Zhan is a cutie, very strong, silent type. Shen and Zhao worked together and as she stood by Zhao, never whining or crying despite being so far from home and the difficulty in the training. According to reports, he fell for her. I liken it to those 1980's films where the less than popular girl falls for the captain of the football team...a la 16 Candles (which I just love!).

I saw them win their second World Championship in Washington DC in 2003 - it was so amazing!! She had sprained her ankle and they had numbed that entire portion of the leg, yet she didn't make one mistake. They skated beautifully! Before the program was even over, all of us in the crowd had stood up, cheering and clapping, if you watch the tape, the commentators are like, "oh my God the crowd is standing up, the program is not complete but the crowd doesn't care." I know for me, it was because Shen and Zhao have a presence on the ice, a connection between the two of them that is moving to behold. This was the ultimate sport story, her working through the pain and them working as a team, coming out to prove to the world they are the best. That moment was spectacular!

http://217.158.112.238/vsite/vcontent/content/transnews/0,10869,4844-128590-19728-18885-268020-3787-4771-layout160-129898-news-item,00.html

7 Comments:

Blogger Pax Romano said...

Have you watched "Annie Hall" yet?

If not, please do.

I think it will help you in coping with this lack of a relationship thing (and if it does not, it might make you laugh ... a lot!).

Maybe that guy at KFC was your Knight in Shining Armor!!!!

9:33 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Sorry, yes, lots of people marry somebody they really like and are happy to be with, and it sometimes developes into deeper love. It usually takes a lot of time to know somebody, and just a few dates can't tell you everything.
Unfortunately the high divorce rate also tells you the same thing.

10:29 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

Humm let me tell ya from 38 years of marriage-we met on a long weekend- he was actually coming to see my best friend-his girlfriend-for the weekend. We saw each other one other time, wrote for 2 years while he was in the service, saw him another time and got engaged then and married 3 months later on the IDES of MARCH!
We have been very compatable, but then of course one of us is a Saint-only kidding-marriage is give and take and allot of talking, honesty and love

11:55 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Pax - I must rent this Annie Hall and see it! hee hee, my KFC guy as a knight in shining armor, hee hee.

Joe - It does work both ways, but I really want my marriage to be a happily ever after, but is that just a fairy tale?

Mommantor - What a sweet story! I love that it wasn't this immediate love story, but that you guys grew and corresponded for two years - gives me hope that my love story doesn't have to be instantaneous.

12:58 AM  
Blogger CS said...

As you know, I'm not the one to comment. But I do believ realtionships, imperfect as they are, are risks worth taking.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The problem with viewing marriage as a fairy tale is that I think too many people do that, and when they find out just how hard it really is...well, it's a major letdown. It'll happen when you least expect it, and catch you totally off-guard!

And then once the honeymoon is over, you'll be, like..."Is Prince Charming actually sitting over there PLUCKING HIS NOSE HAIRS?" And he totally will be.

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CSl - thanks, you're right they are risks worth taking.

Belinda - hee hee - you always make me laugh! Too funny and so true!

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home