Friday, March 02, 2007

Potporri

  • Thanks to everyone - for the pep talk after my near meltdown last weekend. I'm a bit better, I think part of why I took the baby shower so hard is because I'm desperately looking for an internship, which is like looking for a job and constant rejection is disheartening, so I was already in a bad place. Beat's me how actors do it....
  • My mum is having surgery today - she fell on ice and broke a bone in her left wrist/hand area. I don't like the idea of her going under general anesthesia, but it should be ok right??? We know a family friend whose sister-in-law, in Pakistan, went under and never came out, which has since scared the bejezsus out of both my mother and me (my sister and dad, not so much). I'll keep everyone on posted.
  • American Idol results last night - again proving how dumb many of the voters in America are...they kept that horrible Antonella. Lord, did they not hear her sing on Wednesday night??? It was sooo bad!
  • Is it wrong of me to no longer want to communicate with a guy because I've seen his pic and well, he's not attractive at all? In my defense, I'm also turned off because of his bad English, in his e-mails. Am I committmentphobe?
  • I continue to remain upset about the elitism of MBA internships...and mad at myself for not having considered this factor when applying for graduate programs.
  • VCU Muslim Student Association (MSA) is having this lecture series about Islam this weekend, people talk about the Prophet (pbuh) and apply his lessons to our lives. I got the email and immediately my thought was, "what are the qualifications of the speakers?" so I wrote the MSA contact if they were professors at VCU or neighboring schools. Guess what, these are just people from the community...o...k...so than exactly what authority do they have to speak on these subjects? Have they studied them in some academic setting? Or, as I'm sure is the reality, are they just speaking from whatever they learned from their families/local mosques? These entities are all heavily influenced by their cultures, so how accurate are these men going to be in discussing these subjects (without putting their culture influence spin on it)? Am I wrong in thinking this? We are suppose to be at an insititute of higher learning, to me this goes against that idea.

7 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

For the MSA lecture series - is it 'standard' in the Muslim world to have just about anybody declare themself qualified to tell others what they should do? Is there some type of training program for Imams? I was raised a Catholic, and there the church structure does do something for priests and nuns, but as you can tell from all the lawsuits it doesn't always mean they will be good people.
Hope mom is OK - wrist injuries can be a real problem.

2:55 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

Thanks for sharing. I will pray your mom is ok and heals quickly!!
O go to it, you may enjoy or see that Mr. Right for goodness sake. If you dont go out among people you wont find him, plus arent you being an "elitist" not wanting to go to a class because you dont or havent known whom is teaching? just something to ponder!
Now to the MBA thing. just keep on plugging at those schools, someone will recognise your merit and not look at where your school is located or its merit! Continued good luck/karma

6:53 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Trust that your mum has weathered the surgery well, and is recuperating apace. Good thoughts are coming her way. My mom could use prayers right now, too.

As for the guy problem, looks aren't everything, but you have to be attracted to something. Generally it's either intellect or physique. Seems like neither one strikes you here. In that case, it's fair to the gentleman for you to discourage romance. Just a thought, though: is English his first language? It wouldn't be fair to expect the best of grammar and spelling from someone who has had limited exposure to the language. My French would surely evoke laughter from a true Francais/e, but my English isn't too shabby!

I agree with Mommanator. Go and check out the speakers. They might have something of value to offer. I believe that God gives gifts and insight to ordinary people as well as to the learned. It's not guaranteed to be the case in this situation, but you can leave if you are really uncomfortable with the tone. You might even meet someone of a like mind.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Merci said...

Trust that your mum has weathered the surgery well, and is recuperating apace. Good thoughts are coming her way. My mom could use prayers right now, too.

As for the guy problem, looks aren't everything, but you have to be attracted to something. Generally it's either intellect or physique. Seems like neither one strikes you here. In that case, it's fair to the gentleman for you to discourage romance. Just a thought, though: is English his first language? It wouldn't be fair to expect the best of grammar and spelling from someone who has had limited exposure to the language. My French would surely evoke laughter from a true Francais/e, but my English isn't too shabby!

I agree with Mommanator. Go and check out the speakers. They might have something of value to offer. I believe that God gives gifts and insight to ordinary people as well as to the learned. It's not guaranteed to be the case in this situation, but you can leave if you are really uncomfortable with the tone. You might even meet someone of a like mind.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Joe - hmmm...good question, I thought there was some process to be given the title of Imam, I'll have to ask my parents. Mum's ok, bit of a whiny patient, but ok - thanks : )

Mommantor - hee hee - thanks, I ended up missing the event, I just didn't feel comfortable with it (plus went home to visit mum). I continue to plug along but at increasingly discouraging rates.

Merci - sending prayers for your mom, she is a dear (from what I've read). I think I'm going to discourage said suitor, as you said its not fair and I'm just not into him.
I skipped the lectures but apparently the MSA is going to be having more stuff later on in the semester I'll try to take some of those things in - I'm not holding my breath on meeting Mr. Right, hee hee.

1:54 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

While i havent really watched a full episode of AI this season, I agree with you... from what I have seen of Antonella she needed to go... meh They will keep her on strictly for the naked pics.

Wishes for your mum for a safe surgery and quick recovery.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Adorable Tony - thanks for the well-wishes, mum is fine, if a bit whiny at having to sit around and rest (lord she can trade places with me!).
Yes, its all about the naked photos why that girl is still here - or some anti-votes, the girl was HORRIBLE last week. Aye!

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home