Monday, March 19, 2007

Spring Break - Newport, RI


Sorry for being out for a bit....last week was Spring Break (go VCU, we beat Duke to make it to the 32, but lost to Pitt State, so no NCAA Sweet 16). My dear friend from Mary Baldwin College and I went up North to Rhode Island, Newport. This is what happens when you wait till the last second to book spring break plans, hee hee. However despite my reservations of staying in the country for spring break - It was lovely!!

Newport is a delicious town, very friendly, warm and lots to do!! We spent a beautiful Tuesday morning walking Cliffwalk, which is this mostly paved walk between the beach coast and the big mansions of Newport. It was such a nice way to just take my brain away from all the worries of the world. The waves were crashing, the wind a temperate mode, big yards of manicured grass - even now I even breath deeply and feel it.

Sarah and I did other things as well...saw the big mansions, thought of Adorable Tony when visiting the Vanderbilt Breakers estate since Anderson Cooper is a Vanderbilt and Tony loves Anderson. I could have lived like that!! We also visited Touro Temple, the first Jewish Temple in America. One day we spent in Providence. It was nice (Boston light) but nothing compared to Newport. I scoffed at Brown University (I'm still in my anti-Ivy league stage as I continue to feel the sting of MBA internship rejections). I highly recommend a trip to this delightful New England town!

On a sidenote, I was feeling a bit down today, my love life is in the crapper...went out of my way to find a KFC. Pull up to the drive-up window guess what they say...."we are out of Chicken." I'm being deadly serious, yet even as I write this I laugh, how the the heck can KFC be out of chicken?!!! My God the whole thing is about chicken! It has chicken in the name of the establishment! If you don't have chicken than what are you? Just sides? KFS? Anyway I drove up and asked, "do you have anything for a bowl?" God Bless the guy found some chicken nuggets, put it together and here is the silver lining...didn't even charge me!! Wow!!! A lovely random act of kindness that this person will not soon forget.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

ROFLMAO

KFC out of chicken??? I love it!!!

7:18 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Would be like MacD's being out of burgers. If they were out of chicken, what did you really get in that bowl?
Will we be seeing you in one of those 'girls gone wild' spring break videos? Wet t shirt contest in Newport?

10:58 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

Loved the Photo! Sounds like a neat place.
KFC out of chicken isnt that blasphomy or something like that. Glad they gave it to ya for free. AND why were the doors open!

8:04 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

Loved the Photo! Sounds like a neat place.
KFC out of chicken isnt that blasphomy or something like that. Glad they gave it to ya for free. AND why were the doors open!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Adorable Tony - glad I could make you laugh, it still makes me smile (though I have to tell you I still LOL about your Barnes and Noble incident, I'm laughing as I type this).

Joe - hee hee, no don't hold your breath on girls gone wild, Newport : ) Yes, when I first heard the guy say we are out of Chicken, I thought I had heard wrong. What a hoot!

Mommantor - The worst part is I had gone out of my way to find a KFC and I was a bit peeved when I first heard "no chicken." But the guy was a sweetheart about scraping something together for the bowl - so I guess the lesson to me was that there is always a silver lining.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

Newport! Lovely town, I was there years ago...It's great to see my blog-daughter trying out New England!

As for the KFC thing, brilliant!

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pax - thank you dear, Newport was lovely!

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home