Monday, April 28, 2008

Berlin Revisited

Returned last night from Berlin, Germany. Another amazing trip to this wonderfully dynamic city!

What I love about this city is how it is constantly remaking itself yet not forgetting its history. Berlin is this big major metropolis, yet without all of the usual arrogance of a big city that is frequented by tourists. Here it seems people are happy to share their town with others!


We were only there for a weekend, again too little time. I've said it over and over, Berlin is one of those cities that you could spend three months in and still not have found all of its interesting secrets. Mind you this is the city that was the capital of Prussia, that saw many battles, where the Kings and Kaisers lived, that was the capital of Nazi Germany and the epitome of the cold war, a city split in two; so there is MUCH to be found in Berlin.


For the day we were there, I took the group tour of Berlin, very revealing in the history of the city. Than I went to the zoo to see the famous Knut, polar boar. He is now big but still adorable (have to remind myself that with one swipe of his paw he could kill me). But before heading there, I swung back around on the S-Bahn to a humongous flea market. My only regret is that I didn't have enough time there or enough suitcase space to buy all that I wanted at this great fair!


I have to finish with this picture; it is the site of where Hitler's bunker was. The Soviets bombed the bunker so if you were to dig it up, all you would find is rubble and maybe the cement floor where the monster walked. Now this location is a parking lot/grassy knoll in front of an apartment complex, where people walk their pets...I think its sweet justice that one of the worst human beings the world has seen, his final resting place is a location where dogs take a regular piss!

4 Comments:

Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

Beautiful post but is it wrong that homesick me prefers the ones on Denmark? *sigh* Keep 'em coming!

10:26 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

isn't it odd I get your post today and an email about the holocost!
yours was much lovlier than the email!, entitled lest we ever forget!
I am so glad you are having such a great time. when is your time done thee in Denmark!?

9:40 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

See, more indications that you really aren't in school.
(glad you are having fun)

12:07 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Miz B - will do...more Danish posts to come!

Mommantor - oh thank you! I leave in two weeks. Sigh.

Joe - You crack me up...trust me this week has been a torture for one stupid class..I've made painfully aware that I'm still in school. Urgh!

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home