Monday, March 24, 2008

Return to Copenhagen!

I have returned! Have happier words been uttered....I don't think so - I am ever so elated to be back in Copenhagen : ) Why?? Well though the World Figure Skating Championships in Sweden were a lot of fun, and it was nice to catch up with friends in London - the whole thing was a bit too frantic and maybe I'm just older and don't particularly like running around constantly having to think on a vacation (where do I go, how do I get there, how much does it cost, etc). But enough of my caterwauling....some pictures:


This is from the ladies final - where Mao Asada of Japan took the gold. I was happy for her, she skated a relatively clean program, except this major slip at the beginning of the program where it looked she was going to totally wipe out. I thought the best program of the night was the Korean girl, Yu-Na Kim, who skated to Miss. Saigon music, but as she was in 5th place, the highest she was able to move up to was third. The Italian, Carolina Kostner was in second. I've never particularly warmed to Kostner, who is technically good but no real artistry. This picture is my seat view - high enough? (totally unplanned how all the girls wore pink btw)

The second night was the dance event - very exciting (and I had better seats, much closer)!! The gold was completely up for grabs. Above is the Canadians, who skated a deliciously wonderful free dance to this French movie soundtrack "Umbrellas at __" They came in second, their first time on the podium! The damn Russians came in third (there is almost always a Russian on the podium, aye!). The French couple won first and were so sweet - she was crying. They, like the Canadians, have never medaled (1st, 2nd, 3rd) at Worlds and their first time on the podium is gold - how amazing!

Sadly the Americans at this Worlds did not do well, though I cheered my heart out. The ladies all fell at some point and it was madding-ly disappointing, when you know that these girls have the ability and should have been somewhere near the top. The top American Ice Dance Pair Belbin and Agosto, who I was so excited to see, just could not pull it off to come from behind (fifth) to make the podium and all because of a stupid fall/trip in the compulsory portion. The only American to win a medal was Johnny Weir, a bronze in the Men's category - his first time on the podium as well!

I had fun gathering with fellow figure skating fans, I met this great Greek girl, who shares my birthday and had traveled to Sweden alone as well, because, like me, she has no one who loves figure skating like she does - we were staying at the same bed and breakfast! After spending hours over breakfast chatting about the event, gossiping about figure skaters, who we had seen at the event (yes we are figure skating geeks, even getting excited about coaches), we swapped emails and hopefully will keep in touch, so that we can attend future figure skating events together : )

London was London and amazingly I wasn't particularly enamoured this time..have I changed?? I was happy to leave that city and get back to Copenhagen! oh well, now its back to the books...but a nice-ish break from school, if perhaps not all that I was thinking it would be...

7 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

I'm glad you had fun! Very cool pics. And it is interesting to hear about all the things you are learning during your time abroad (about yourself, too). :-)

8:30 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

I think this is your first post where you mention books. I was starting to wonder if you had classes and things to study there.

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to go, glad to be back, eh? Glad ou got to see the skating, and also glad you are back where you want to be.

10:47 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

Gal glad you had a good time! To see those skaters doing their thing right in front of your eyes! amazing! I watched on TV and my seat didn't loomuch better than your LOL. I don't think the cameraman was into it, he kept loosing the skaters!
I was also dissapointed when our dance gal fell and wasn't able to re group- still dont like the scoring system, but who listens to me? I know one thing for sure I can't do any of what those folks do! I can't even do those things on the ground.
Last time I was in London I wasn't enamoured, but thats just me. too many folk RUSHING around!, funny how quickly you have adopted Copenhagen and consider it home-even with books and having to study!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I'm so happy that you're having such a great time!

1:36 PM  
Blogger apt said...

I'm with Brenda. Seeing you "blog-smile" puts a smile on my face :-)

11:27 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Darla - yes this experience is really opening my eyes to my own self...if that makes sense : )

Joe - ha ha, you and my mom wondering about the study factor, LOL.

Citizen - thanks, its funny I've realized I'm a homing pigeon, I like to go back to where I'm comfortable.

Mommantor - Yes I think its funny as well how quickly I've adopted this city, I just think is tops! And I totally agree with you about the ice dancers, I was sooo bummed, I really LOVE them and wanted to see them on the podium. I joked I was the jinx, cause those skaters I was rooting for, all did bad (except Johnny Weir).

Brenda - thank you : )

Tony - oh thanks, it makes me smile that you are smiling!

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home