Thursday, March 27, 2008

Funny signs in Foreign Lands


Imagine this - Gothenburg, Sweden, 11:30pm (at night) and I'm taking the tram back from the figure skating pavilion to my B&B, this sign (pictured above) is on the inside of the tram. I absolutely HAD to take a picture. Why??????

My favorite joke of all-time goes like this:
There are these two tomatoes walking. One of the tomato's is lagging behind. So the fast tomato stops and waits for the slow one. When the slow tomato reaches the fast one, he stomps on the slow guy and says, "catch up!" It makes me laugh and laugh and laugh (I'm laughing right now). And when I saw this picture, with my FAVORITE joke, it was kismet!! If you notice in the fine print (this was an ad for blood donations by the Swedish red cross), it says catch up. From what I could tell it had something to do with the Swedish blood bank being low.

Of course all the Swedes (surprisingly full at 11:30 at night) on the trolley looked at me with that expression, you know the one that says "what a sad pathetic tourist." But I got my picture and that's what counts!



On a totally different note, I've been going through a bit of a mini-crisis these past few days, mostly of my own doing (another non-surprise). But today I went to the simply wonderful flower markets of Copenhagen and realized, 'you know what, my time here is too short to be bogged down with worry, I don't want anything taking away from this experience,' so I'm not even going to stress about it. Whatever will be will be and in the meantime, I'm going to just enjoy my Bridget Jones Copenhagen adventure! (Besides, look at those flowers in the picture above, how can one be bummed when presented with such gorgeous creations of God?? While those flowers in the picture are Gerber daisies, I splurged and got a $2 bouquet of hyacinths, [not pictured above]).

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was Mia's joke in Pulp Fiction too, I still laugh when it rolls around.
Yes, buy more flowers.

10:25 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

Love the joke and the blood banking sign- those Swedes do have a sense of humor!
I like the pic of the flowers- you have the daises all pretty and in bloom-spring like and the women in heavy coats & boots what an antithesis
You go girl!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Merci said...

I'd have taken a picture of it, too. It's just not something you'd see in the US. Quirky.

11:16 PM  
Blogger my mind wanders said...

That picture is hilarious! I hope you are doing ok - I like this attitude. Keep everything in perspective. I am thinking about you over here across the pond. H

11:33 AM  
Blogger Hina said...

lol don't you also have a t-shirt with that on it ;)

and flowers are nice - not flannel, but nice :)

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great pictue even without the joke, but knowing it is a favorite joke of yours makes it perfect.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

crazy swedes! i love when jokes i like are made into ads or commercials or whatnot.
surround yourself in flowers. maybe go crazy and spend $10 on some someday! ;) yes, life is too sweet and beautiful and FLEETING to get bogged down!

11:37 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Joe - good idea on the flowers, I will endeavor to take you up on that suggestion!

Mommantor - goodness, good eye, I didn't even notice that..about the women in the heavy coats and the pretty flowers. Funny, maybe I'm starting to get accustomed to this Danish weather. Good and interesting observation - thanks for making me smile!

Merci - yes, it is something I wouldn't expect to see in the US, I'm sure someone would feel offended or something. Aye.

My Mind Wonders - Thanks for the good thoughts and vibes. I'm missing you over here on this side of the pond!

Hina - oh yes my tee-shirt, I love that! I will wear it a lot as summer comes to Virginia. Flannel (kermit face).

Citizen - thanks, its funny just looking at the picture and I think that is what caught my eye when I was in the tram.

Molly - wowzeers, $10! Yeah, you know what I'll save up my change and see what it adds up and get that in May. For 50 kroner ($10), I could get a BIG beautiful bouquet!

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home