Thursday, May 15, 2008

Closing Time

(A view of the street I live on in Copenhagen, from Knippelsbro Bridge, on the other side of the canal).

Two days left on this fabulous adventure that has been my time in Copenhagen, Denmark. I have so many fond memories and I thought a self-made survey might be a fun way to put into words some of those moments...so here goes!

Favorite Spot in Copenhagen - Kongens Nytorv, where I live!
Favorite Non-sport Activity - flower shopping
Favorite Sport Activity - walking along the canal
Favorite Food - $12 hamburgers at Restaurant Chili, cheapest food in town!
Most Memorable Royal Moment - watching the ballet with the Queen of Denmark, eeck!!
Most Memorable Non-Royal Moment - to many to list, but a sample includes ice skating in the first week, Oslo cruise, trip to Legoland, ladies movie night on Valentine's Day, ghost story telling with the Singapore crew, religious discussions with Peter and Hannah.
Favorite time of the day - love those early Copenhagen mornings when I feel like I have the city to myself : )
Most fun sightseeing spot with a group- really enjoyed Helsingor castle.
Most fun sightseeing spot alone - Christianberg Castle, within walking distance of my apartment, where I got to pick the brains of the tour guide on all the latest details of the Danish Royal Family
Favorite Side Trip - Gothenburg, Sweden for the 2008 World Figure Skating championships!
Favorite Freebie - its a toss-up, last week got a purse for free from the flea market, but yesterday got beautiful sunflowers from Magasin flower market for gratis.
Most Frozen Moment - touring Roskilde in early February, I think my toes were going to fall off.
First Time I sweat in Denmark - Last week at the flea market, it was in the 80's over here!
Danish Language Experience Moment - speaking with an Italian guy on the Metro in Danish, since I don't speak Italian and he didn't speak English.
Best Deal at the Cheap Grocery Store Netto - LOVE the four chocolate muffins for less than $3
Funniest Time - laughing at one of Wan Shan's stories at Monday night ladies dinners, or when Leah would write me a note during HR class about how stupid the class was...
Best Store find - again a toss up, the Noa Noa outlet or the little used book store on a side street of Stroget.
Best Business Connection - oh too many to list, but I now have friends who this summer are going to work in Phillip-Morris, NovoNordisk, AXA, PricewaterhouseCoopers as well as having made some connections with Maersk shipping company, Cathey Pacific airlines and Siemens Consulting.
Some Lessons learned - 1. NEVER walk in the bicycle lane! 2. A smile goes a long way even if you don't speak the language. 3. People, on the whole, are very nice and friendly. 4. Danish dogs are very well behaved. 5. Find the love within and you will radiate light throughout. 6. Stay true to your morals and people respect you more. 7. When someone is willing to take the lead on a group project, let them! 8. In the end, we humans are very much alike despite what others may want or lead you to believe and hopefully this faith in our commonality will help shape a more peaceful future.

(a daily two man peace protest in front of the Danish parliament)


Closing time - time for you to go back to the places you will be from...
Closing time - every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end... (lyrics from "Closing Time," by Semisonic)

6 Comments:

Blogger Molly Malone said...

yea!!
(clapping wildly)
i'm so glad you had this!

10:44 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Wow! How wonderful! And you have many more adventures in your future, I just know it! I travel vicariously through you.

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait...walking along the canal is a sport activity?!

it sounds like this time in denmark has been so good for you. and i think copenhagen might miss you - especially those tour guides!

4:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How long was the time there, start to finish?

" 2. A smile goes a long way even if you don't speak the language." Is a wonderful rule.

9:24 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

AH my sweet not one mention of the studying /school/classmates! Now that WAS a good semester!
If you had been here in the states we would have been fretting over AN "A" or not! Good going and remember to live life and ENJOY!What an education you had in Denmark!
Safe trip home!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Molly - thank you!

Merci - tusind tak! (that's a thousand thanks in Danish).

Kate - yes walking along canal was a sport to me, remember I am not an exercise type person at all, hee hee.

Citizen - it was literally exactly one month - January 18th to May 18th. Too short in my opinion.

Mommantor - you are so right, if I had been in the States I would have been worrying over silly stuff and I feel like I really learned a lot from being in Denmark.

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home