Thursday, May 01, 2008

Tivoli!!!



Just some photos of my adventure yesterday - Tivoli!! Tivoli is THE amusement park here in Denmark and Copenhagen. The official tourist book describes it as pleasure garden with rides and entertainment. I agree, wonderful orchestra bands, a plethora of ways to turn you upside down, groomed plant beds and a fun pantomime show. Tivoli has been in Copenhagen for centuries, some argue that its the world's oldest fun fair. Its a Danish staple, people say one of the things you have to do during the summer. Whatever its heritage, Tivoli is a MUST-SEE if you come to Copenhagen!

My friend L and I went with her mom (whose visiting from the States) yesterday. It was nice, cost of entrance is about $20, but you have to pay for the rides separately...I chose not to ride (save some cash that way). Tivoli is a calm little park-like oasis in the middle of this major city. I was pleasantly surprised when I entered. Certainly from the outside, one cannot tell how deep and lovely it is, with gardens (so beautiful both L's mum and I were tempted to pluck the flowers) and all these variety of rides and amusement games. Tivoli is set up with different country themes, so in one corner is Asia, one Arab and one historic Europe - with a pirate ship. American amusement parks would eat this one in a single gulp, but what Tivoli lacks in size, it makes up for in charm!
At night it is just gorgeous with lights everywhere (including hung in the weeping willows that border the lake...yes there is a lake inside the park). It is just the kind of place to dress up nicely and swing a parasol; think that first location on the Willy Wonka factory tour (smile).

In other news, I can't believe I only have two weeks left here..I'm excited to go home and see my family and friends but this has certainly been for most intents and purposes (yes Joe you are right) a four month vacation and honestly, who likes to leave a vacation, no? Though this week working with my group on our Emerging Markets paper has brought home to me quite well that I am attending school here. Ironic eh, first three months here, my classes go swimmingly, last two weeks and one stupid class has me screaming and pulling my hair. Aye!

5 Comments:

Blogger Molly Malone said...

how dare school get in the way of your fun? pfft!
tivoli sounds like fun - I LOVE AMUSEMENT PARKS - but paying for each individual ride is lame. the last time i had to do that was in the 80s at our regional amusement park.

6:51 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

Sounds beautiful
what a shame its almost over and you having so much educational fun!

9:38 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

You waited so long to go? We were only in Cophenhagen for two days, and had to hit Tivoli, and the castle. Should have made it longer but wanted to see our friends in Sweden.
So, are you then back to your old school to finish up the degree? What does the future hold?

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only two more weeks?! The time has flown!! It sounds like it's been an amazing adventure. Do you think you'd ever consider settling in Europe?

Can't wait to see you in DC in August. Am slightly worried about the plans you and h have been hatching!

7:10 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Molly - yes amusement parks are fun but paying for each ride is very old fashion, which I guess fits in with Tivoli's whole old-fashion business model...

Mommantor - yes it has all be so much fun and I'm sorry its ending so soon!

Joe - When I get home I take one more class and hopefully graduate in August. I'm currently applying for jobs around DC, fingers crossed something comes through. As for Tivoli, it just opened in April, so we had to wait this long :)
Kate - Time has flown by, can't believe it! I would consider settling in Europe but only if I had a job that paid well enough for me to make frequent flights back home : ) ps, don't worry...it will be fun! LOL.

5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home