Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Boy-Band Mania

Worked the Jonas Brother concert last night - 25,000 screaming 12-year old girls, nearly deafening and mad crazy! I have attached a picture of the Jonas Brothers, personally I think they need haircuts and a stylist to dress them, however I'm not the one making millions, like they are.

But boy last night brought back memories, I was once one of those screaming girls, for a different bunch of boys. The time was the early 1990's and the band was New Kids on the Block. It was their Magic Summer concert tour. I went with a big group of friends, one of the girl's dad drove us, in a van, we had posters in the window and honked at fellow girls who were heading the same way. Our seats were in the back section of RFK stadium, directly across from the stage. I don't remember who was the opening act, I think maybe Tommy Page (yeah does anyone remember him??). As the day turned into night, the lights dimmed and we began to scream in earnest, out came the five guys who made my heart (and every pre-pubscent girl in the arena) stop, Joey, Jordan, Jonathan, Donnie and Danny - New Kids on the Block! The music played, songs like "Step by Step," and "The Right Stuff," and I sang and danced and naturally screamed at everything they boys said and the pyrotechnics.

At the end of the show, we waited around this one entrance, thinking the band would come out that way (now I know that most bands leave the venue immediately following a show) after 20 minutes of that, we gave up and finished the night by buying tee-shirts for just $10 in the parking lot, some vendor was trying to get rid of his stock (what would he do with a bunch of shirts with the New Kids on the Block face??). Good times, good times.

It seems that every teenage girl generation has some boy band to fantasize about, the Beatles, The Jackson Five, Duran Duran, New Kids, Backstreet Boys and N'Sync. What an interesting phenomenan eh? And so it goes on, as was evident last night.

6 Comments:

Blogger Random Kath said...

So . . . are you going to go see NKOTB now that they're touring again? :-)

4:03 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I've never been to a big concert but the dudes who caused swooning in my day were the Beatles. (ok, ok, I'm old). :-)

6:45 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

The Beatles were all the rage way back when, but I never got into it? guess I am weird that way?

10:01 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Random Kath - totally, I have already bought my tickets!!!

Brenda - you must go, take the chicks, a boy band concert is quite the experience, just remember to bring your earplugs!

Mommanator - Not weird, just unusual, but smart, you didn't waste tons of money like I did : )

12:34 AM  
Blogger Lost said...

Ummmm the boy band of my day was the Bay City Rollers - how sad is that?

11:01 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Lost - you make me smile : )

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home