Saturday, August 09, 2008

Up's and Downs


Flowers left over from the wedding, is what the picture shows. I took a bunch of roses back with me to dry and I'll give them to my cousin on her first wedding anniversary.

On the flipside, I am totally disappointed about the news of John Edwards affair. I feel so betrayed, though really why should I be surprised, he is a man after all. Why should his wife battling cancer hinder his primal needs? He has lost my support forever - if you can't even have the common decency to stand by your wife when she is fighting a life-threatening disease than you don't need to be in politics, you need some spiritual or psychological help. I pray for Elizabeth Edwards, all the best.

Finally - watched the Olympic's Opening Ceremony tonight; very pretty! I loved the red dresses the ladies who were holding the signs, during the parade of nations, were wearing. The little boy who came in with Yau Ming and the Chinese team was adorable!! His story was incredible, I hope a bright and successful future lies in store for him. Wish the politics behind the game were better but hopefully these Olympics will increase lines of communication between China and more democratic nations, leading to more freedom. Let the games begin!

9 Comments:

Blogger mommanator said...

what pretty posies for me to see on the bright Sat am. Thanks for sharing.
I missed the torch lighting, but saw most of the rest of it. I was amazed at those girls in white that kept cheering the entire time, bet they were tired afterward.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

re: Edwards - meh. affairs by public officials no longer shock me. frankly, something like 50% of all married people cheat at some point in their marriages. not that it's okay, but it's not uncommon. we only get angry at public people and celebrities because we think we have a right to their inner lives. brother does need to make amends with his wife and family, but that's their business.

we did watch the opening ceremonies. first time in a long, long time i can remember thinking that they were truly wonderful, not just some back-patting corn-fest. really beautiful. tapped into the sentimental molly. had to fight back tears several times. and OMG, i love yao ming anyway, but put that little earthquake hero next to him: i'm butter. BUTTER, I TELL YOU! thought about you as we watched it. figured this was right up your alley. ... i think my favorite part was the drummers. friggin' awesome!

8:21 PM  
Blogger apt said...

I'm with Molly. It's a faulter in his life and his family, but overall, I am just not really over upset about Edwards' affair...

either I am jaded by politicians or I am just jaded... but overall, it's just such a big deal.

I DO think his running for President WHILE the affair was going on was just stupid, but whatever.

11:25 PM  
Blogger apt said...

erm.... that should read NOT such a big deal.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

The flowers are awesome!

You said it best about John Edwards, "he is a man after all".

Wasn't the Olympic Opening Ceremony awesome!?

11:16 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Flowers from the wedding at the anniversary - nice idea.

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You scored on the flowers.

Yeah it's sad, but not my biggest concern about a politician. And, incidentally, the rates of infidelity among women are also surprisngly high.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Mommanator - yes I couldn't believe that about the girls cheering all the countries for two hours! Glad you liked the posies!

Molly - oh the drumming was just fantastic! you and me both about the crying..I even looked up that little kid so I could learn more about him..

Tony - I guess I am just disappointed because he just seemed like a decent guy and to do that when you're wife is so sick, well that is a huge let-down for me. And with such an ugly woman..at least if you are going to have an affair, pick someone pretty.

Brenda - oh yes those opening ceremonies were just amazing! I think the best I've ever seen!

Joe - well thank you, though the brainchild of the idea was my mum.

Citizen - interesting about women and infidelity. Glad you liked the flowers.

1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally not related to the post, but just wanted to say how amazing it was to see you last week. Really, really wonderful to have all of us together again.

Will catch up more soon now that I'm at my parents' and have internet access again!

Kxxxx

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home