Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Olympics

My father and I are avid watchers of this year's Olympics. We were even shouting out loud during the men's 4x100 swim relay, with the USA trailing France till that last little bit, man that was exciting!!

NBC's coverage is fine - I just wish we would get more human interest pieces; you know the ones about the swimmer from some third world country where there is only one pool, or the runner from a war zone or the guy who comes in last and is partially blind, and why they do it. Those are the stories I just love. We get all the information about the winners and the headliners, but I want to know about those athletes that don't garner the spotlight, who have no chance of winning, but come to the Olympics for the love of the sport.

Perhaps that is why I am a sucker for the Olympics (though I prefer winter to summer). I like the idea of people coming together, under the ideals of good sportsmanship, letting go, for two weeks, of their animosities and differences and just enjoying each other, as human beings, playing sports. It gives me hope, that peace in the world is possible.

I appreciate that there are those who protest these games because of China's abysmal's human rights records, but I see these Olympics as the opening of lines of communication; how can we affect change in China without talking to them? I see it like this - who is more willing to take my advice or guidance, my friends or my enemies?? As evident in Iraq, trying to force our way or ignoring atrocities, seems to have no results. Besides, lets be honest which country participating in these Olympics has always had a fantastic human rights record, certainly not the USA, not anymore.

Hopefully all this attention to China will lead to a new more democratic path in that country's future...

6 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

U S A !! U S A !!

Seriously though, I too like it when the smaller countries win.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Random Kath said...

This is the first Olympics that I haven't watched in . . . what must be forever. I don't know if it's just the time difference or if I just don't want to get sucked in this time. I'm so out of the loop these days! :(

4:47 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

I've watched a fair bit of the swimming and gymnastics, and some beach volleyball, too. It seems we only see the US and China in gymnastics. They really only cover the countries who have a shot at a medal.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only seen a bit of it, but there have been some spectacular moments in swimming.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

these are the first olympics i've seriously watched since 1996. i'm having a BALL! of course, i'm totally into the swimming, which surprised me, and i'm getting into the women's beach volleyball, which surprised me even more! my faves so far: Shawn Johnson, Michael Phelps (of course), Jason Lezak, Ryan Lochte, Dara Torres, Libby Trickett, Misty May/Kerri Walsh, that chick who won the marathon. ... one more week to go, and so many more heroes to accrue!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Joe - glad we are of like minds!

Random - have you gotten sucked in yet?

Merci - yes I really wish they would cover some of the other countries, like what has happened to Romania or the Russian's, who both use to be huge powerhouses of gymnastics.

Citizen - oh yes, swimming has had some magical moments!

Molly - oh I am happy that others are enjoying these Olympics as I am...they are fun no?

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home