Thursday, June 19, 2008

Odds and Ends

This comic always makes me smile - I don't have a real purpose for today's post, just a bunch of loose odds and ends flying around in my head.

Watched the movie Blood Diamond the other night. What a tragic story, it just broke my heart; particularly as I had read the accounts of one of the boy soldiers from Sierra Leone's civil war and knew the reality was that most families do not end up back together, rather they are torn apart and eventually got killed in the conflict. I just don't understand people, how they can do that to each other. Sigh.


I am already starting to forget my Danish - this is bad.


Love that President Bush blamed the Democrat's on the current gas price, that is classy - oh and his solution to rising oil prices because we are so dependent on oil is to drill for more oil, in the Arctic wildlife preserve. It is stupidest response I've ever heard of...let me see if I have this logic straight: gas prices are going up because we as a nation are dependent on oil (a resource that is running out), so the solution is to pool for more oil, a non-renewable resource, to lower prices in the short-run? But what about in the long-run?? How strange that with two oil men in the White House for eight years and what do we get, not only rising prices but a push to drill for more oil. Shocker.


Got back from Denmark and am now addicted to Top Chef. Is this part of my food crush?


For God's sake DON'T run the water when you are brushing your teeth, that is a HUGE waste!! What's wrong with you?!


Two more class sessions to go and than I am done - woohoo!!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It may not feel like you have a purpose, but there is a genral save-the-earth theme. Which is always to the good.

6:07 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

great post for this and that! Love to save the planet by shutting off the water when I brush my teeth, maybe they will tell us to not brush at all and make every kid in the country happy! and toothless!
Drill for more oil! thats the ticket, how about embargos on the rich nations that supply our oil, can't they see that!?

9:50 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Boy, you do have a few random thoughts flitting through today.
Did you see the Times article about oil companies getting no bid contracts in Iraq? (very strange)

11:48 AM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

VG,

The oil.

Way back when I was a 'young'un we were being warned about our dependence on oil ... nobody listened. We are a nation of "quick fixes" with no thought to the future. I foresee a Mad Max Dystopia in about fifty years.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I think we should purchase from Iraq, from wells the US has put back into service, for about a quarter of the price, 3/4 should be credited to their accounts (on account I figure they owe us mucho Billions), then we should stop buying these SUV 4-W drive vehicles if we live on city streets and don't need the dang things there, and give the car makers 5 yrs to come up with AFFORDABLE, alternate, fuel sorces.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

okay! i'll turn the water off!

9:16 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Citizen - oh thank you : )

Mommanator - LOL about the water, I don't think brushing will ever get outlawed, but at least some water can be saved by conserving water during the whole actual brushing part.

Joe - didn't see the article, but I am intrigued...will have to look it up. Thanks for the tip!

Pax - yes we are a quick fix people and it disheartens me. I concur about your prediction.

Brenda - yes there has got to be both a short and long term solution.

Molly - good, don't make me get Indian on your ass, hee hee.

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home