Monday, June 16, 2008

Book Memo

I grabbed this book list memo from Random Kath. I'll be honest, I am surprised that some of these books were marked as "unread," because some of these books have been on the NY Time's best seller list, so I am not sure the accuracy of this list. But it is fun to play...

MEMO
These are the top 100 or so books most often marked as "unread" by LibraryThing's users.
Bold the books you have read, italicize the ones you started but didn't finish.
*****

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell
Anna Karenina
Crime and Punishment

Catch-22
One Hundred Years of Solitude
Wuthering Heights
The Silmarillion
Life of Pi: A novel (I LOVED this book).
The Name of the Rose
Don Quixote
Ulysses
Moby Dick

Madame Bovary
The Odyssey
Pride and Prejudice
Jane Eyre
The Tale of Two Cities

The Brothers Karamazov
Guns, Germs, and Steel
War and Peace
Vanity Fair
The Time Traveler's Wife (Someone recommended this to me, it was AWFUL)
The Iliad
Emma
The Blind Assassin
The Kite Runner
Mrs. Dalloway
Great Expectations

American Gods
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Atlas Shrugged
Reading Lolita in Tehran
Memoirs of a Geisha (oh another book that was AMAZING).
Middlesex
Quicksilver
Wicked: The life and times of the wicked witch of the West
The Canterbury Tales
The Historian: a novel (a good book but disappointing ending).
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Love in the Time of Cholera
Brave New World
The Fountainhead
Foucault's Pendulum
Middlemarch
Frankenstein
The Count of Monte Cristo
Dracula
A Clockwork Orange
Anansi Boys
The Poisonwood Bible
The Once and Future King
The Grapes of Wrath

Angels & Demons
Inferno
The Satanic Verses
Sense and Sensibility
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Mansfield Park
To the Lighthouse
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Oliver Twist
Dune
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
The Prince
The Sound and the Fury
Angela's Ashes: A memoir
The God of Small Things (my grandfather recommended this book for my book club, written by an Indian, it was ok, but the story was not really my cup of tea).
A People's History of the United States: 1492-present
Cryptonomicon
Neverwhere
A Confederacy of Dunces
A Short History of Nearly Everything
Dubliners
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Beloved
Slaughterhouse-Five
Eats, Shoots & Leaves
The Mists of Avalon
The Scarlet Letter (literally WORST BOOK ever, does anyone remember what happens in the end?)
Oryx and Crake

Collapse: How societies choose to fail or succeed
Cloud Atlas
The Confusion
Lolita
Persuasion
Northanger Abbey
On the Road
The Catcher in the Rye (I don't know why people love this book, it was a blah story).
Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An inquiry into values
The Aeneid
Watership Down
Gravity’s Rainbow
The Hobbit
White Teeth
In Cold Blood: A true account of a multiple murder and its consequences
Treasure Island
1984
David Copperfield

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, the two books off that list which you really should read are 'Curious Incident....' and 'The Kite Runner'. Both are fantastic. I totally agree with you on 'The Historian'. Justin and I listened to it on a long car journey and were disappointed in the end, but still a fun story!

1:51 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Who came up with that list? It's such a random thrown together thing. Interesting what you have read from it though. Probably marked more that I would.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Kate - Yes Historian was a fun read. I am not sure about the Kite Runner, H recommended that to me as well but I know that the story is going to be sad, which I don't really tend to gravitate towards. Hmm....I'll sleep on it.

Joe - A lot of the books I marked were school assignments, if given the choice I probably would never have picked them up : )

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home