Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Monarchy and Top Chef


Finally Wednesday night television has arrived!

Since the CW network moved Gossip Girl to Monday nights at the beginning of this season, Wednesday night television has been a dessert of nothingness - until now (Mid-November).

PBS has begun airing the British series, A Year in the Life of the Monarchy. A British television crew followed Queen Elizabeth II around during 2006 and we get to see the footage. The documentary style mini-series gets closer to Her Highness than anyone has been in a long time; and as a self-avowed monarchist, I am completely in love with this series! The first two hour long "episodes" featured the Queen's visit to America, which was so exciting to see, particularly as I was part of that experience (remember me standing in the rain on the Virginia state capital grounds to catch a glimpse as she visited our state capital). What I really enjoyed is seeing all the behind the curtain work, such as how the Williamsburg hotel where the Queen stayed in had to wash the new bought towels four times or which presidential dishes the White House used for the Queen's lunch (LBJ's with state flowers). This series took a year to make it across the pond (everyone in the UK got to see it last year, lucky ducks) and I am watching every minute of it!

After this jaunt into royalty (which I always love), I than move onto the Bravo channel for (wait for it)....Top Chef! I just got into this show last season but boy, have I been sucked in! This is a reality show, but not one where they scream and yell and display the worst of humanity, rather it is a group of EXTREMELY talented people outperforming each other - in an arena that I will never truly be a proper member of (the kitchen i.e. love to cook set). I relish (no pun intended) how creative these chefs are; they are able to take the most restrictive or craziest instructions thrown at them by the judges of this television show and make amazing food dishes. Plus, through watching this show, I feel as though I am gaining some culinary education. Certainly the show has enhanced my food palate and eating out decision making.

As a tv-ohlic, I am ever so glad Wednesday is back with good programming - haliauh!

5 Comments:

Blogger Marmite Breath said...

I watched some of the Monarchy thing tonight and then The Windsors came on afterwards. I have to say, I do love my Queen......she's put up with a lot over the years and done a fantastic job.
I love the UNC channel, it's brilliant at showing English stuff!

11:56 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

I have never understood why Wed tv is so bad. The only thing I have ever come up with is that alot of folk go to church on Wed's and the networks dont see the need to entertain the rest of the folk?

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it were a local phenomenon, I'd assume there was little on TV Wednesday night sbecause it's "church night." But surely the whole country doesn't spend their Wednesdays at church.

5:15 PM  
Blogger my mind wanders said...

Hey! I saw a commercial for this particular PBS special, and I totally thought of you! How did I know you wouldn't miss it for the world! :-)

10:06 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Marmite Breath - Welcome! oh yes I do adore my PBS channel, (WETA up here in DC) for the same reason, lots and lots of my British television!

Mommantor - oh that could be it, I know some friends who go to Church on Wednesday, hmm...

Citizen - interesting, others have commented, maybe that is it, but I'm ever so happy with my Monarchy series!

My Mind Wanders - you know me too well : )

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home