Sunday, October 12, 2008

Book Memo

Sorry for the delay, I am finally taking Darla D's book memo - this was a nice trip down my reading lane.

Do you remember how you developed a love for reading?
It was definitely as a child, I don't remember this exact kismat moment, but some of my best childhood memories comes from reading, just seems like it was always in my life. I know that there must be something genetically pre-disposed in me, as my grandfather was an English professor and he and I share a deep passion for reading.

What are some books you read as a child? The Secret Garden, James and the Giant Peach, A Cricket in Times Square, Babysitter's Club, Sweet Valley Twins, Nancy Drew, and of course EVERYTHING by Enid Blyton (precursur to JK Rowling, fabulous writer!).

What is your favorite genre? Historical fiction, romance (a combination of both is my especial joy!).

Do you have a favorite novel? Well as everyone should know by now, my absolute favorite book is James and the Giant Peach, I also have repeatedly re-read Night by Eli Weisel, Northhanger Abbey by Jane Austen and My Story by Sarah Ferguseon, the Duchess of York, but I have a long list of books I love to re-read over and over again.

When do you usually read? Whenever I have a free moment, or I'm waiting somewhere.

Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time? Usually, something educational and edifying to the mind and something frivolous, aka romance novel.

Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction? Nope.

Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library? See previous post about me being dirt poor, I check everything out at the library - besides I love the library, great selection and if I check out a book I don't like, I can always return it : )

Do you keep most of the books you buy? If not, what do you do with them? See question above.

If you have children, what are some of the favorite books you have shared with them? Were they some of the same ones you read as a child? No kids, but God-willing I will and I absolutely want to share with them the books I loved as well as some of the new stuff, like those If you Give a Moose a Muffin books and the Magic Treehouse series.

What are you reading now? Murder Most Royal, by Jean Plaidy about Henry the Eighth, Anne Boleyn and Catharine Howard, and some trashy romance novel.

Do you keep a TBR (to be read) list? Yes. It's so long it's embarrassing. I doubt I'll live long enough to read all the books on there, unless maybe I stop adding new ones and live to be very, very old. Oh, well - it's all about the journey, isn't it? This is Darla D's sentinments and I completely echo them!

What’s next? I will next be reading Three Cups of Tea, you know the one on the best-seller list about setting up schools in Afghanistan.

What books would you like to reread? If it is a book I like, most of the time I have already re-read it. I wouldn't mind re-reading all the books about the last Czar of Russia and what happened to his family (Russian royalty being very interesting to me!).

Who are your favorite authors? Roald Dahl, Jane Austen, JK Rowling, Stephanie Meyer, Anne Perry, Janet Evanovitch, Phillpa Gregory, Judith McKnaught, Sophia Kinsella, Maeve Binchy, Alison Weir.

Now if you liked the questions and came up with some ready answers yourself, please play along and post this memo, with your answers, on your blog (as I've seen some of you already have done, Pax, Mommanator, Molly).

6 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Libraries, yes.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Reading is a marvelous hobby for those of us with limited expendable income!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Yay! I love your answers! I also enjoyed the fact that your favorite children's books were also mine, for the most part, even though I'm quite a bit older than you! :-)

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AlthoughI have always loved books, I don't read nearly as much as I want to. I'm hoping for a slow down soon.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Brenda - thank you!

Joe - amen brother!

Merci - so true my friend, so true about limited monies.

Darla - all I can say, great minds think alike!

Citizen - as long as you love it, that is what is important.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Marmite Breath said...

I adore Enid Blyton!!

Tonight I started reading a Secret Seven book to my daughter, and I read some of her Round the Clock Stories to my son. She's timeless!

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home