Sunday, November 16, 2008

Tips for Customers

As I am currently working in retail (ugh) the more I am interacting with customers (naturally). Some days are better than others when dealing with the public, but for the good of all, I would like to offer some tips to consumers for everyday shopping (which would make both your and mine, the sales associate, life so much nicer).

  1. READ THE FINE PRINT IN COUPONS. I have been guilty of this myself as a shopper, so please read the entire coupon before bringing it up to the register with your product, that includes all the legalize. Make sure your item is covered in the coupon, that you have the right size, the correct brand, color, type, etc. AND if you do not read your coupon, DO NOT yell at me if I can't accept it; not my policy, store policy.
  2. For the love of God, if you have one item, or something small, why do you need a bag?? Stop wasting and try to be green! Be honest with yourself if you do need a bag, its because you are lazy or vain and want people to see you were shopping, or forgetful and must have this huge bag to remind you that you bought something.
  3. If you pick up an item and decide you don't want it, put it back where you found it. I'm not your mother or servant, I shouldn't have to clean up after you!!
  4. Is it too hard to be polite and say thank you?? I know I am paid by the store to help you and just a measly retail store worker, but I am still a human being, it makes me more willing to assist if you are nice and not a complete jerk.
  5. If you are watching your pennies, than watch the screen when I ring you up! After the transaction is complete, it is MUCH harder to remedy price problems. Don't yell at me because you are too stupid to pay attention.
  6. Watch your kids, the store is not a daycare or babysitting service. Also it is not cute when they mess up the store, no matter what you think.
  7. Be honest when you want one of the store's fancy paper handle bags instead of the plain old plastic bags, don't try to cloak it in some necessity or righteousness about your purchase, I'll respect you more (and be more willing to give you other free swag, i.e. tissue paper with the store name on it) if you are honest.
  8. Finally, if there is a line when you go to check out and the line is not moving, blame it on the customer in front, because 99.9% of the time, it is that front line customer's fault, they are fussing or have some problem, picked up an item without a price tag, returning something etc. Again, don't take it out on us store employees, get mad at your fellow customer.

6 Comments:

Blogger mommanator said...

I'm sorry I can't read the fine print- it's too darn small even with a microscope!
Keep your crying kids home when they want to cry! EEK I can't stand that!
Dont have an arguement with the spouse in line it makes me the customer NERVOUS
Lastly dont hit me with your D---
cart surely you can see me! and if you can't you need glasses

2:11 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I'm really not a bad consumer,,,except at WalMart. :-)

7:27 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Oh, somebody sounds a little testy now. Just wait until the Christmas rush (if there is one this year)

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, all this before the post-Thanksgiving rush!!

I don't think there should be fine print on a coupon. That's just tricky on the part of the store. Not that I'd ever yell at the cashier about it. And I agree that sometimes it's the customer's fault that a line is moving slowly. But I've also witnessed on plenty of occasions cashiers talking with each other instance of moving the line along, or ignoring a customer while they take a personal phone call. SO my take on it is that manners can be lacking on both sides. Everyone needs to behave.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Mommanator - yes fine print is hard to read, as long as you don't get mad at me when I tell you that something is not accepted because it is in the fine print I am cool with that.

Brenda - Wal-Mart, they are probably use to it, ha ha.

Joe - uh-oh, more bad stories to come.

Citizen - yes that is true, but in my case I never do that, since I know how it feels to be a customer, but I don't always get that same empathy back and am treated more like a servant.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Oooh, a little rough in the retail world these days, is it?

I agree with mommanator. Well-behaved kids are a pleasure anywhere. Kids who act out should be taken our of the store immediately.

Most of the time I make it my challenge to try to get the sales clerk to smile and relax a little. My job is partly customer service in essence, and I know how much I appreciate a polite and friendly caller. In fact, it's actually a relief when someone is polite, since it is so rare these days.

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home