Sunday, November 23, 2008

Twilight and Kelly Clarkson

This weekend was fun, though I spent most of it sick with a very sore throat and cold (which is still going on, thanks to no health insurance, I have to self-medicate).

I went to see the movie Twilight at midnight on Friday. Predictably the theatre was packed, full of other die-hard Twilight fans like myself. What to say of the movie? I liked it, but definitely my adult sensibilities found some of the scenes consumed with cheese (for lack of a better word). And you know what was most funny about those moments, I can recollect when I was a teen how much I adored those movie scenes. Goodness, it seems I have become an adult! My favorite moments were the sparring between Bella and Edward and I thought for the most part, the director and screenwriters stayed true to the book - though changing the ending was unnecessary and annoyed me. I actually found the best actors to watch were the normal high school students who played alongside Bella and Edward, because these high school kids were so normal. In a movie so full of dramatics, it was nice to have glimpses of commonality. Naturally, I am going to see the movie again....duh.

Saturday night my sister and I went to go see Kelly Clarkson in concert. I am a huge fan!! She is all about girl power and empowerment for women. Her songs infect me, they are so much an anthem to my life. It was an interesting show, as it was not only Kelly playing but Reba McIntyre - I am not a particularly huge country music fan, so being around so many country music fans was unusual. But I was able to jump and dance around to "Since You've Been Gone" - making the whole experience worth it! Plus my sister got us tickets in the sixth row, which was freaking awesome!

Now I'm off to bed to hopefully nurse this cold and cough.

9 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

Got that same ol nasty cold here, not much to do for it. Glad you had a great weekend, sounds like you had a ton of fun.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Marmite Breath said...

I went through a period of madness in high school (a result, I believe, of moving to America) and ended up at a Reba McIntyre concert. I still contend to this day that she is AWESOME! A great show-woman, a fantastic singer and seems to be a really nice person. I also love Kelly, but haven't ever seen her in concert, although I bet she would rock.

I want to see Twilight but I have nobody to see it with :( None of my friends here are big fans, and while my kids are sick of hearing me shriek "EDWAAAAARD" when I see Robert Pattinson anywhere on TV/Internet/Magazine cover, I don't think they'd want to go. Plus, they're probably too young. Well, Tom is. And he'd rather die.

Oh, and Tom has a new boy in his class at school who just moved from India last month. Any advice? When your parents moved to the U.S, what was the thing they missed most about India? I have spent some time with him and we had a very fun conversation about chapatis how I was going to sit next to him at lunch if he kept bringing such brilliant food. I feel for him as I know what it's like to move far away, but I didn't do it that young.

OMG, I have taken over your comments section! Sorry!

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
What a coincidence! I went to a concert too this weekend...Metallica...was on the floor, second person behind the rail next to the stage! So close the pyrotechnics should have singed my eyebrows off!!! I still have my hearing but my voice is gone! I feel like someone has beat me up (I'm too old to be on the floor at heavy metal concerts!)
I didn't see the movie "Twilight" but I did buy the first book yesterday. What a beautiful, tragic love story!!! I want to immediately go and buy the rest of the books!

9:43 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

whew 6th row seats and not a fan! well I bet you are destined to become one!

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's very close. I haven't been to a big concert in longer than I care to think about.

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been sick too!

'Since you've been gone' was my break up song for Holiday dumping
'04, and it came in handy in '07 too :)

I love Reba!! I saw her in Annie Get your Gun on Broadwasy and that was freaking awesome.

11:59 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Gee, I am getting old, we have tickets to Chris Botti for Saturday.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Brenda - it does seem to be going around, no?

Marmite - Yes R. Pattison is a hottie for sure! As for the new kid in town, I think what you are doing is perfect, just being there and listening, slowly my parents got over their homesickness and now consider America home.

Trisha - wow a Metalica show, so cool! Yes read the other three books in the series, it is amazing!

Mommantor - I am now a fan! ha ha.

Citizen - come up sometime, we will go see Kelly C anyday!

JellyKean - Reba was great! And isn't Since You've Been Gone, great, I just love it! Not about moping but kicking ass, yay!

Joe - LOL, no you are only old when you stop going to shows altogether.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

Hey - just catching up on my blog reading from being away. I haven't seen the movie yet, but it does look fun. I know what you mean about changing perspective with movies like that - it's a bit disturbing, isn't it? I don't understand why they'd change the ending - it would play well, in my mind anyway, in a movie. Hmmm. Don't tell me what they did, though - I'll see the film when it's out on DVD (like I see most of everything else these days!).

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home