Saturday, December 27, 2008

Nora Roberts


Recently I finished my first set of Nora Roberts books. It was recommended to me by a friend who knew I was feeling sad since the Twilight series has finished. I wanted to read something in a similar genre, romance but with vampires but not to sci-fi or fantasy.

I'll be honest, I had been avoiding Nora Roberts because I wasn't altogether convinced about her, she seems very mass-market. This series did nothing to really alter my opinion. She is not a bad writer but just nothing that really presses me to rush out and get her next novel.

She would be a good filler if I have nothing else to read or maybe laying on the beach, but certainly not the first author I would gravitate too. My problem with this particular series (and what I suspect with her other books) is that she starts with a good premise but there is no real fleshing out of the story, the romance seems too hurried and onerous details inserted where the reader can't care.

This is like the third mass market writer whose books seem to always be on the best seller list but whom I've found bland or unimaginative, formulaic or just plain vomit inducing, such as Nicholas Sparks, Clive Cussler and Diana Gabaldon).

As for vampire stories and romance go - there are some books I love and recommend:
1. The Twilight Series (yes it is for teenagers and some parts very syrupy but the writing is good, the story enrapturing and I love it!).

2. The Vampire Diaries (another for teenagers but divided in four books, it is riveting as you follow the characters through each story).

3. Dracula (nobody does it as well as the original, Bram Stoker's classic still gives me chills when I read it).

4. The Historian (by Elizabeth Kostova, this book is a page turner filled with vampire lore, though be forewarned the ending is a bit abrupt and disappointing).

5. The Rest Falls Away (this is a new series combining regency romance and vampires, I've just started and am addicted, thanks to Darla D for getting me hooked to it).

Hope everyone is having a lovely holiday season!

8 Comments:

Blogger Merci said...

I agree with you about Nora Roberts, but I have to confess that I like Diana Gabaldon, especially )Outlander.

I'm planning to re-read some Mary Stewart and some Daphne du Maurier while I'm on vacation. Not sure whether or not Stewart will meet my expectations, but I feel pretty confident that du Maurier will.

1:16 AM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

Dracula is the best! You are right, no one did it better than Stoker.

I loved Anne Rice's vampire novels as well.

I just started the Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood series the other day.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I'm quite the opposite when it comes to my favorite reads. I find too much romance messes up a story plot and if they insert too many sex scenes, I'm ready to toss the book before I even finish it. I love horror and medical thrillers so Stephen King, Dean Koontz, and Robin Cook are my top favorite authors.

10:47 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

I read The Historian on books on tape- was hard to listen to at first, but finally got the gist of it. I don't take time to actually read! Glad you ahve time to!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

thanks for taking a bullet for us. i'll avoid Roberts. ;)

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you regarding Nora Roberts. I read her books when I have nothing better to read.
I recently finished the Twilight series...and I too was depressed it was over. I hope she decides to rewrite the series from Edwards perspective. I enjoyed the first 12 chapters that were leaked!
I hope you are having a very happy holiday season. Don't work too hard!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Merci - see we are twins, same opinion on N. roberts!

Pax - I totally want to read the Sookie Stackhouse series but I'm afraid it will run True Blood for me...tell what you think. I don't want to know what happens to Bill and Sookie.

Brenda - but it is good that you know what you like, even if we are opposite (smile).

Mommantor - oh interesting, the Historian on tape must have been quite a ride. I think I might have to try that on a long car trip!

Molly - I does what I can : )

Trisha - thanks and yes like you I devoured the first 12 chapters, but I want more...like maybe a Nessie centered book so that way we can see more of Bella and Edward. : )

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post... Looks like flash memory is really beginning to become more popular. Hopefully we'll start seeing decreasing solid-state drive prices in the near future. $5 32 gigabyte Micro SD Cards for your DS flash card... imagine that!

(Posted by Nintendo DS running [url=http://www.leetboss.com/video-games/r4i-r4-sdhc-nintendo-ds]R4 SDHC[/url] NextPost)

2:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home