Sunday, December 07, 2008

Slumdog Millionaire



Winner - National Board of Review, best film 2008
Winner - Toronto International Film Festival, people's choice 2008
Winner - British Independent Films, best independent film 2008

If you haven't already seen the trailer for the breakout film of 2008, Slumdog Millionaire, you are must watch it now. A touching and heartbreaking movie, I went to see Slumdog Millionaire this past Saturday. Considered a potential Oscar pick, I was a bit skeptical about it yet as soon the film began rolling, the magic of the movie encased me. I won't write much about the story, it is better to see it without any spoilers. I will add this, it definitely has elements of Bollywood; it is the genius of Hollywood storytelling with the vivaciousness/color of India.

Also it was special for me because the moments of Urdu language were comforting as were the gorgeous shots of India and intimacies of scenes that I have either lived or seen when visiting India (i.e. waiting on the train platform). Note the game show host is a very famous Bollywood actor and the music director/composer A.R. Rahman is hugely renowned in India.

Check this film out!

5 Comments:

Blogger Molly Malone said...

a colleague of mine saw this a few weeks ago and reported that it was fantastic. i'd heard and read good things, but had not yet seen the trailer. thanks for sharing it with us. it looks beautiful in every sense. (course it help that the trailer plays "hoppipolla" in the background. am i sucker for that? yes.) i'll try to carve out some time in the insanity to go see it!

6:57 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

This looks like a pic dau #1 and I would love! She loves happy stories, I love flics that take place in foreign places so I can see places I will never see!
The girl in the flic is beautiful!

8:12 AM  
Blogger Marmite Breath said...

I just got chills watching the trailer!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

It is on my must see list; along with "Milk".

10:30 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Molly - put it on your netflix list, trust me you and honey will want to see it, you guys will like it, I feel confident in this assertion.

Mommantor - go see it with daughter #1, it has the requisite elements you both will love!

Marmite - chills watching the trailer, imagine watching the film, you will love it!

Pax - oh two good movies on your list, I also wanna see "Doubt."

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home